Predator Hunting Forum banner
221 - 240 of 283 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,318 Posts
Always a conversation around regarding if its a crow or if its a raven, Pixie our farm hound we had hated crows from day 1, never got excited if ravens were around. I have a lot of stories about ravens. Thanks for sharing the pic's and dog Cam.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #222 ·
Ive had a problem with a coyote stealing bait at a foot trap site I have ..I put bait between 2 rows of round bales and atrap either side ..twice he got a free meal because the snow drifted hard over the trap or he jumped it . Yesterday I added 2 more traps to east side and a snare on west end ..Got there to feed cows today and could see snares site tore up and snare gone..oh great another chewout , just what I need ..but I looked down between the bales and at far end by the bait lay the culprit .. the pic shows a chew out coyote caught in 3 of the traps !! He was dead so he very well.may have succumbed to the snare but the traps held him and made it unnecessary to go look ..#87..weighed 45 #..

I sold the poor end of my catch this year to a private buyer today and did reasonably well I think ..the doom and gloomers .have top dogs going for $50 , I ave. $45 on 9 , 3 had traces of mange, 3 were brush worn and the other were just plain ..2 tops were $60..I sent the other 51 to FHA thru a local depot so am optimistic that I will do ok .

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
343 Posts
I would dare anyone to tell the difference (other than their guttural calls) when they are above the treetops. That's definitely a raven in the photo but they still look like crows. We only have crows in my part of Michigan and if they are "carrying on", there's usually carrion, too.
The difference between a crow and a raven is that a raven doesn’t get killed the night before its wedding only to rise from the dead and track down his killers. It’s been a while but The Crow was a good movie back in 1994.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #224 ·
The difference between a crow and a raven is that a raven doesn’t get killed the night before its wedding only to rise from the dead and track down his killers. It’s been a while but The Crow was a good movie back in 1994.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Oh oh..I could be in trouble .

·
Registered
336 Posts
The vastness of your countryside, Cam, cries for all the gun a man can carry. No doubt, that .22 pea shooter fits the bill. But, what's that red stuff on its hind end?

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #227 ·
The vastness of your countryside, Cam, cries for all the gun a man can carry. No doubt, that .22 pea shooter fits the bill. But, what's that red stuff on its hind end?
Glad to hear you have the touch and knowledge to carry out such a funeral ...lol...as for the blood on hinder of the coyote ,that is where the bullet came out ..slight quartering to shot hit in rubs and came out above the tail,kinda strange as that load usually doesnt exit ..nothing a bucket of water and some soap cant fix as well as a couple stitches.

Yes it is big country for sure , most shots are 100 -200 yds ,with no wind , a steady rest and time some are over 300..anything closer is a rarity .

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #229 ·
Tough day guys ,Ive had about all I can take of this eagle crap ..got to the hiline today with my 9 year old grandson Walker and 3 eagles were sitting o this beauty big dog ..all Walker could keep saying was
" it just isnt right grandpa ,it just isnt right "
He was very upset at the total waste of such a beautiful creature ...

Im real close to pulling all my snares and calling for the.next couple weeks , I cant afford to catch coyotes just to feed eagles .Ive got a plan already to try and combat this problem next year but as far as this year Im afraid the local.birds are.on a search and destroy.mission ..enough for today Im tired

Both sides of the same dog

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #232 ·
So, next week is supposd to qarm up.lkke crazy..from -24 °C today to +8 !! Im gonna lift all hiline snares for that week ,and move my eahle pile to a spot in between baits which are about 3 miles apart ..this place has some tall trees for the " vultures " to roost in and hopefully that will get em away from my prizes.
Warm wind may get some scent driftung from my east set out into the coyote hatchery , a 125 section of private ranch that has no access ..this sote has been alow this year for no apparent reason and I hope it will kick in .
Usually catch 30 + there but only 13 so far ..

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Congrats on calling one in that valley of birds looks great if you could keep them off your catch

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #234 ·
What a difference a day makes ,yesterday I was ready to quit cause of the eagles and today I catch 4 and redeem myself ..1 had mange but rest were very nice ..coyotes had caught a mule deer near one site and I got 3 there as they drifted around the kill...so the rest will.likely be back . I pulled her a short ways off from my bait cause I don't want aomeone to find it and accuse me of catching deer for bait .

The one with mange was caught right around the nose so that tells me my snares are.loaded right and very fast

·
Registered
336 Posts
Glad for your continued, winning effort! I learned a long time ago that winners never quit and quitters never win.

Those people buying the fur will never know the heartaches of the man behind the scenes; they see only the rewards of a winner!

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #238 ·
Thanx Glen ,im faced with a dilemma with the birds on hiline ...lift snares a few days and possibly move eagle bait a mile further away and feed heck out of em ..supposed to be warm for 6 days ,then go back and set again for last 2 weeks ..let u know this afternoon how I went .

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #239 · (Edited)
Check today started out good ,shot a nice dog on way to hiline but downhill after that ..got to bait just after a baldy had opened up a nice white coyote ,hope it can be sewed ...so this made my decision for me..I closed all snarss at this site ,picked up all carcasses from eagle pile and mived half mile east to big trees ..3 eagles just happened to be sitting in them..

Went to east bait and gfound a few tracks thru and lots on river so reopened them all .. time will tell if it was right thing to do
94 ..

Update ,...skinner says he can fix it ..

·
Registered
336 Posts
Persistence, my friend, can make up for a lot of bad luck, as you have demonstrated. As good as you are with that Tikka, it has been a good option to competing with the birds. All in all, a very strong season already.

221 - 240 of 283 Posts