2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #201 ·
Thanx guys , see what tomorrow brings.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #202 ·
#80 ,.what a story..I wrote and poated it in the members cabin ..lost and found a dog 2.5 miles later
.pretty special so getting him tanned to keep .

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Congrats and you are correct on them coyotes being fat but the cold weather will make them hungry soon and the the fun begins

Reactions: C2C

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #204 ·
Oh don't worry pokey ,Im already having about as much fun as I can handle ..today is gonna be memorable forever

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #205 ·
Weather has turned back cold ,supposed to lsst a wèek ..catches have dropped off on east half of the hiline ao I am going back to the valley of the birds out there ..plan on makung a good eagle pile and hanging a raven ..U need to know if the place is worth going back to next year ,so may lift east line for a week to allow nee customers to move back in ..

In the meantime we pulled and abamdoned the way west line in wolf country,far too many deer ti mess around with..knocked down snares dont catch much and I sure dont need to catch deer .

Im getting a little close in 1/16 snares left so will pull the 10 off river line and another 7 on a close spot here to help out
I have lots of 5/64 ones left but they sure aren't my first choice for coyotes ..will check west line today .

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Rally the troops and take my howler to the valley of birds and howl them in with enough fire power to take them all out in one trip

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #208 ·
Now that would be a trick pokey !! Lol..I did go back and if I hadnt been in such a hurry to get set I would have taken some pictures..It is a day earlier than planned but suppsed to get some snow tonite so I went early ..Ive seen places with coyote traffic but this was ridiculous ..youve all seen rabbits trails thru the woods ? Thats what is in here except it is dog tracks !! When I left last time I wasnt about to pack the 75# of bait back up the hill so left it there..the plastic tub is empty and broken and chewed to pieces ..snow is hard packed and trails every where. I set 18 snares but used some discretion and tried to keep them in thick brushy areas where they wont be too visible ..lots of trails in the open but I didnt dare set em ...the coyote that I left last time when I pulled the plug is just a few tufts of fur ,looks like they ate their own so they have to be hungry .

I wired a pork quarter to a tree for bait and hung my raven to hopefully save some fur ..it worked at the other 2 spots ,for awhile ,I caught anice white female this morning 50 yds from one and either magpies opened it up..still flaps of skin so my buddy can save it I think

All the other baits had deer knock downs but no catches , I will.likely lift a couple of them for a week or so and go back mid monthe to finish off.
Cant hardly wait to check Wednesday, tomorrow I will check the river spot and likely pull it

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #210 ·
Curious. How did you get a raven?
This sounds crazy ,but my former skinner sneaked into position at his shooting bait for coyotes and the bait was swarming with ravens ..he flock shot into the middle of them and got 3!! Beheaded one and broke wings on 2 more ..just so happened that was the day I decides to try them and he got em for me.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #211 ·
Very cold today -25 and a 20 mph north wind, fed everything extra today ..
Checked a couple spots close to home and got 2 at one place and 1 at the river.

First pic is a dig that was caught where I blocked off trails a.month ago to keep deer out ,no bait set out to begin with.
After Christmas dinner I stuck the turley carcass in a tree about 4 ft up and he circled to get down wind and got caught

The dog in the middle was.caught at a bait and was in 2 snares so close together..he definitely wasnt getting out.

Last pic is one caught at the river ,wish I had my phone with me for a pic..I should have had a pair ,this one was still alive and while he was caught another came down the trail from the opposite direction toward him and stopped right at the next snare 15 ft away ..enjoying the cold while its here..supposed to warm up first of the week .

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Nice looking ones for sure hopefully the valley set pans out big for you and the big birds stay away

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #213 ·
Thanx pokey , Im gonna get there asap in the morning after chores...ive got a fresh bunch of bait to dump and more frozen dogs for the eagles..It is so frustrating trying to avoid those vultures,I set 18 snares and kept them hidden for the most part in thicker brush but could have set 30 or more easily in open places ..I ,will try and take pics tomorrow and share them with you .

These giys are all ready to go to auction in a couple days ..dint know if I will get a barn pic but will try .

·
Registered
336 Posts
Didn't want to start any trouble, that's for sure, so I looked up the legality of shooting ravens in Canada. Now, I feel better knowing it's legal to shoot them. I've crow hunted in areas of Michigan where ravens and crows inhabit the same area (north of me) and when they are flying high, it's almost impossible to discern the difference in the two. I may have taken one or two that came to my calling. Or, maybe they were just big crows. Illegal anywhere in the U.S. to shoot them, because of a stupid treaty with Mexico aimed at protecting migratory birds. We used to be able to shoot any number of crows at any time for any reason, but that stupid treaty changed all that.

That may seem a little harsh to some, but not to the folks who spend their lives witnessing what these scavenging birds can do. In fact, Saskatchewan recently changed its laws to allow landowners, or their designates, to shoot ravens without a permit whenever they threaten crops or livestock. Alberta is even more liberal in that a resident can hunt ravens at any time on private land, with permission. In B.C., hunting is allowed on both public and private land—again, with permission—depending on the management unit. Manitoba is the only western province that doesn’t allow raven hunting.

Credit: Al Voth. Ravens are notorious for their sharp beaks.
Credit: Al Voth.

Sure looks like a crow to me!

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #216 ·
Thanx for your concern Glen ,I knew you would look into it ..I should have clarified it and saved you the trouble..ravens are a smart nasty bird for sure .. as a.kid 50 years ago we never had them out here on the prairies ,but then again wendidnt have grizzly , wolves or elk out here either,must be climate change .....lol. Now they are everywhere.

By the way ,to me that is a raven in the pic..beak is like a jack hammer compared to crows.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I would dare anyone to tell the difference (other than their guttural calls) when they are above the treetops. That's definitely a raven in the photo but they still look like crows. We only have crows in my part of Michigan and if they are "carrying on", there's usually carrion, too.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #219 ·
I would dare anyone to tell the difference (other than their guttural calls) when they are above the treetops. That's definitely a raven in the photo but they still look like crows. We only have crows in my part of Michigan and if they are "carrying on", there's usually carrion, too.
So true Glen ,very similar in appearance but ravens are much larger and in general are a smarter and coarser bird , very few crows here any more .

Yesterday was a bad day ..all I have to say about valley of the birds is " never again "..
Caught 2 coyotss and a fox in this gold.mine and birds got them both. Dont think it was eagles this time as a flock of 25 of more of the magpies flew off the carcasses ,not an eagle track or bird in sight ..or raven .. left my sets in as there was.no time to pull them and went to east sites on hiline .nothing in first so I lfted it to rest ..nothing in other one either but there were at least 4- 5 sets of tracks indicating dogs are still around. Rebaited it and will check in a couple days .

I wasnt about to go home empty handed so broke out the foxpro 2 miles away and after a.short female coyote howl I broke into a jackrabbit ..first series produced 2 ravens coming at a distance from SW..I waited a couple minutes then turned it back on and ravens ,still coming started flying erratically diving bombing the ground and clucking so I knew I was in business ..dog appeared under them hwased my way hard at 150 ...as I shifted to.line up on him ,he caught movement and turned broadside to leave . A quick shot frim the Tikka and I had a nice coyote ,this one wont get wrecked by birds ,refuse a snare or chew out ..lol. 86 now.

Heres pics of birdvalley and my dog

·
Super Moderator
23,337 Posts
Congrats on a nice shot.
I have never seen a crow here until this, well, last year. Only a pair here at the house and another at the desert range I shoot at. Ravens we have lots of, and buzzards too.

Reactions: Glenwhey and C2C
201 - 220 of 283 Posts