Predator Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 283 Posts

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I was gonna wait a week or so to start fur taking ... but I couldnt help.myself and succumbed to an itchy trigger finger...oh well ,the pheasants will thank me and I guess these easy kills would likely get shot and wasted by a rifle deer hunter this week ..hides look decent,we will know when the inside is revealed . Both were taken with the 17 hmr at about 120 yds

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Dont know how I posted 2 pics of the coyote..fixed it ..lol

·
Registered
336 Posts
Heck yeah. Looks like mid-winter there, Cam. And, obviously, you are in mid-winter form. Surprised you took that little pea shooter. Effective!

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haha..not my first choice for a gun Glen but I pack it in the truck at all times for skunks and badgers but it luckily does ok in a pinch ...just like the States we are in an ammo crisis up here and have buying any and all powders,bullets and components so I can keep shooting ..probably ok for big guns but 22 250 is my weapon of choice so looking after that baby . Hornady quit making my fav bullet ,the 52 gr Amax. Very fur friendly but Ive had good reports on the 50 and 53 gr Vmax .Luckily my Tikka isnt fussy and groups all quite well .

·
Super Moderator
12,318 Posts
Congrats. Cam, no snow down low here, lots of drivers in the ditch your way. How was the hay crop this year.

·
Super Moderator
23,337 Posts
Congrats sir. That blonde one sure is pretty. You’re off to a good start.

Reactions: C2C

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Congrats. Cam, no snow down low here, lots of drivers in the ditch your way. How was the hay crop this year.
Hay was decent but not great ..we put in a lot of water but wind and heat got their share of it ..my daughter and her huaband planted 3 acres of garlic this fall with seed they got from a guy in Creston ..Brad ?

·
Super Moderator
12,318 Posts
This frigging site - Cam I sent you a pm but I think it never went through as it said I had too many words - what's with that, let me know if you got it.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Three acres of garlic! And, I thought my 160 plants were plenty.

I don't use my .17 HMR very much but it always shot some tight groups. Stocked up on ammo for it when the price was below $10/box.

Firearms sales have slowed a bit and ammo is showing up here and there. Mostly there.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No message Rick ..ya Glen ,I hope it grows for em ..Lots of work.
I love my Savage 17, in left hand and ive taken 4 coyotes with it ,only 2 intenational kills called in close .I carry it all qinter as a dispatch gun for trap and live snare caught dogs , a ahot thru the shoulder puts em down quick with little or no blood loss to make a mess.The tiny hole is sealed by muscle and keeps em clean

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My phone is possesed Rick , I will check again . Nope ,not a thing ,sorry

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I was dealt a minor blow here this week reagrding bait for trapping ..Due to a bogus scare about CWD ,I am no longer allowed to use roadkill deer as bait .. so much for my shooting blind bait pile . I use a dead cow or a pile of roadkill there and luckily have no cow but unlucky as I now longer can get dead deer either . Im not even allowed to use scraps from butchered deer ..original notice I recieved from authorities was roadkill ,so when I questioned it and asked about scraps They told me better not to be safe...so much for playing by the rules
Guys that dont ask about the roadkill permit are still using the deer and I cant ...not real fair.

Ive gone to using butcher scraps at snare bait piles as it doesnt seem to attract the eagle problem .
One thing I am gonna do is clean the countryside up and use as many porcupines as possible . A quick peel job and lob it into the baitpile , coyotes love em .
Divide and conquer I guess ..

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Congrats on the fur cam good to see you starting out

Reactions: C2C

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The frustrating part about it Rick is the fact that i was told the hiway patrol guys are supposed to be ping the carcasses for incineration..after talking to one of them he says they have been given no instructions and are simply dumping them like the old days.. who do you believe?
Ive talked with my landowners and they have agreed to keep any dead stock they have for bait for me .

·
Super Moderator
23,337 Posts
Good luck Cam. We know you’ll adapt and overcome!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Same issue here. I inquired about getting scraps from our local deer processor and he said he couldn't do it because of CWD. Looks like you're "stuck" with porkies.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Same issue here. I inquired about getting scraps from our local deer processor and he said he couldn't do it because of CWD. Looks like you're "stuck" with porkies.
Hahaha..well it should make the local ranchers happy ..besides there was a guy advertising for porcupine quills and the long hair off them ,maybe a few $$$ to be made there ...guess he uses them in crafts and native art .

1 - 20 of 283 Posts