Predator Hunting Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I saw an episode of Nutria hunting on the Outdoor Channel.....It looked like a BLAST!!!!

·
Hillary for Prison
2,677 Posts
How many of you boys are hunting Nutia? I just saw Larry do a show they are getting $5 a tail. If I could stand to live in the south again I might have to take that up.

No Looooosiana boyz here?
Mmmmm...I might just have to get my rifle and set up on the delta in an open area and video some long pokes at em. When I get done running the roads. We used to have nutria rodeos in Mobile, AL- till the huggers had it shut down--however it doesnt mean we cant hunt them year round or the like. Just not any "organised" events per se.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ooh we hunt them. I don't think you get the $5 unless you have a trapping license. I kill as many as I can but don't keep the tails. I just like them off my property. The make some mean holes the cows don't like.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I used to hunt them back in the mid 70's when I was kid. We could actually get good money for the green hides and sell them to the fur buyer. We would wade in the water after them and hunt them in December.

Looking into hollow cypress logs or see them swimming in the water or on little islands. We were getting $5-7 each for fresh skinned pelts and would shoot 5 to 10 of them each and sell them at the end of the day. That's probably equivalent to $25-35 in todays money since you could buy a candy bar for 25 cents or 3 plays on a pinball game or coke. Not a bad days work for $125-250. We would wade up to our waiste in the water with no waders and walk slowly in the water so you didn't trip over submerged limbs and stumps while scanning for rats and we had a black mouth cur that would retrieve them for us. I used a singleshot Marlin 22 rifle with a 15mm scope on it and would call my shots.

My buddy and I both saw a nutria jump up on a stump about 40 yards away and shot at the same time and the nutria fell dead forward of the stump. We both claimed getting it but I told him I put a bullet behind the shoulder like a classic deer shot and if there wasn't a bullet there then I missed. He was shooting a Marlin 60 auto 22. When we examined the rat it had one hole behind the shoulder and one in the posterior.

·
Super Moderator
23,224 Posts
So who got the hide ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts