Predator Hunting Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some friends from Louisiana that have been coming up duck hunting between Christmas and New Years for the last 3 years. Odd set of circumstances brought these guys and myself together. 3 years ago on the day after Christmas I get a phone call. The man introduced himself as Jerrod and began to tell me he found my name through onX hunt app. He was asking permission to duck hunt a pond on my property. Jerrod and 3 of his friends drove 12 hours up here to Oklahoma to duck hunt the Kaw Lake public hunting areas. What they didn't realize was that to hunt Kaw Lake you need a boat which they did not have. So they started looking for some ponds and water sheds that were holding birds. They would find the land owners name through the app on their phone and then call to ask permission. When I got their call I told them I would go with them and show them some more places to hunt on our ranch. All this lead to a great friendship with all 4 of them. Excellent duck hunters with respect for the land, the birds and the landowners. We had an excellent hunt this year and wanted to show you a great pic of a days limit of mallards.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My friends were heading home this afternoon so we decided to make one last hunt this morning. Legal shooting time brought drizzle and sprinkles followed quickly by dropping temps. The rain turned to sleet and ice with a hard north wind. Luckily we had set our decoys on a pond with a tall north dam. We split the dekes 50/50 to our left and right with about 20 yards in between them right up next to the bank out of the wind. Days like today when the wind is really blowing the ducks like to get up next the bank out of the wind. At about 8:30 we all were frozen stiff, cold and seriously doubting our decision to hunt. The wind and sleet picked up making the birds leave the feedgrounds and head for cover. We shot our limit in less than 30 minutes. It was nonstop action and still had ducks trying to land while we were bagging up our decoys and getting our layout blinds loaded on the truck. I was extremely fortunate to have shot 2 banded mallard drakes, but also learned that if I get any deeper than my waist my chest waders leak.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good stuff. Heck of a send-off.

Don't forget to poke a hole in the wader boots so they don't fill up on you next time.
I never thought about that. Probably need to put that hole down by my ankle somewhere.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Nice birds,never fortunate to bag a banded duck..let alone 2 !!

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
23,337 Posts
I have some friends from Louisiana that have been coming up duck hunting between Christmas and New Years for the last 3 years. Odd set of circumstances brought these guys and myself together. 3 years ago on the day after Christmas I get a phone call. The man introduced himself as Jerrod and began to tell me he found my name through onX hunt app. He was asking permission to duck hunt a pond on my property. Jerrod and 3 of his friends drove 12 hours up here to Oklahoma to duck hunt the Kaw Lake public hunting areas. What they didn't realize was that to hunt Kaw Lake you need a boat which they did not have. So they started looking for some ponds and water sheds that were holding birds. They would find the land owners name through the app on their phone and then call to ask permission. When I got their call I told them I would go with them and show them some more places to hunt on our ranch. All this lead to a great friendship with all 4 of them. Excellent duck hunters with respect for the land, the birds and the landowners. We had an excellent hunt this year and wanted to show you a great pic of a days limit of mallards.

M R Ducks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts