Predator Hunting Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to take a walk with my an old Mossberg rimfire loaded with some fine Lapua Center X target ammo. It was dialed in with a Bushnell rimfire scope
Fawn Grass Plant Grassland Working animal
already for next week's squirrel opener, so I knew where the bullet was hitting at my squirrel maximum distance of 50 yards. Figured I'd shoot any red squirrel that gave me a chance.

Instead, this large woodchuck came into view along a trail beyond 50 yards. I took a knee and while the 'chuck was still on all 4s, I sent the sub-sonic, 40-grain missile to the head bone with a 2-inch holdover. The groundhog went down with tail a spinning. To my surprise, it was moving a bit from the scene of the crime but I was confident it was terminal. Counting 74 steps, the pic shows how I found it at the end of the blood trail.

Vulture food now.

·
Super Moderator
23,252 Posts
Nice shot ! Having a gun sighted in for a certain range on little critters is smart, knowing your holdover for an extended distance is the sign of a true marksman.

Reactions: Glenwhey

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, YD. The little Mossberg model 152 gets a lot of the credit. Amazing accuracy at 73 years of age. And, that Lapua ammo remains true. The combination creates great confidence with another advantage: a dedicated rimfire scope with appropriate parallax. An operator has no excuse.

The same gun gets the nod next Wednesday when an old friend and I sneak out at dawn in a spectacular mature hardwood setting for bushytails. He doesn't know what a treat he's in for but he's one who'll appreciate it.

·
Super Moderator
12,203 Posts
Great writeup Glen as usual and some great shooting from a exp. shooter for sure. So a ques. sir - so who is the 73 years of age - gun or you Ha !! Could not resist that one - both are great the way I see it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Let's just say we were both born before 1950. My gun is a baby boomer just like me. Close enough?

Might have to refer to the little pea shooter as my Baby Boomer. Seems appropriate.
Plant Natural landscape Natural environment Wood Terrestrial plant

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not a variable. It's a fixed 4X with a 4-inch tube and parallax free around 50 yards, which is my normal maximum. When action can be fast, it's quick on target. No knobs to mess with to spoil opportunities. Semi-auto weighing only 5 pounds and it has the unique feature of a fold-down, walnut fore end. I love walnut furniture and this one's sweet with the factory sling on the left side. (Later models used a black synthetic material for the fold-down section.) Very good trigger, which is unusual without massaging them. Had trouble with it jamming and purchased a new 10-round magazine from Numrich Arms for $28 and it's worked perfectly ever since.

Gotta keep this action clean. Good ammo helps in that regard and all I feed it is sub-sonic. No supersonic stuff. No need for it. From 50 yards to 25 yards using ammo around 1050 fps, my point blank range with a 1.5-inch kill zone is easily achieved.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Great shooting bud I have no love for the whistle pig and will empty the gun if need to take one out I wish I had a 22-250
30 years ago instead of a 22 long oh well I made me a better sniper and saved a few for seed

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Popped a few with my Remington model 700 in 22-250. Nothing better for the task. I usually use the .22 rimfire only when I can't use the big poppers because of humans that might get upset with the noise.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts