Predator Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering buying a night vision scope for my rifle. Does anyone have any experience or suggestions? I would appreciate any advice.

·
1 Posts
Save your money and buy the best Generation III optics you can afford. We use 6X Raptor's and D-760's along with our thermal Weapon Sights. Be prepared to spend from 4,000 to 7,500 on Gen III hand select 6X NV rifle scopes. As with most things you get what you pay for.

Jed

·
93 Posts
WOW thermal sights, like just everyone can go out and buy them for an occasional predator hunt LOL

Most Gen 2 night scope swill suffice, lots of makers out there, stay with those who will provide a warranty and service on thier products though, don't buy out of country stuff, it's non-repairable most of the time

·
14 Posts
Check out ATN I've used their new Night Arrow 2nd gen+ scopes. I used one back in Jan for a trip to Nevada and the scope worked great. The have these scopes available for $1,695 (less if you shop around through their distributors) for a Custom Grade Tube (CGT). I've also done some field testing on the Mars4x-WPT (white phosphorous). The WPT tube will set you back about $4,500, but the clarity is awesome.

If you hunt at close ranges (under 200 yards), you can get yourself an MK350 or MK390 for under $600 for a 1st gen scope. These work quite well.

·
Be vewy, vewy quiet!
2,695 Posts
I thought about a NV scope also. I knew I wanted to get quality equipment such as at least Gen2. I was really set on doing it till I realized that stuff was WAY out of my budget range. I decided to go with a quality scope mounted light instead.

·
118 Posts
I got a NV that I took in at a gun show last year it is an ATN Gen 1. Been thiking that I would try it out.

·
6 Posts
First night using night vision,Watched three bucks for over an hour.I would grunt at it(really just belched at it,since I didn't have a deer call with me).It would snort at me and paw at the ground.Didn't have any idea what I was.Played that game for quite a while until they moved on.What a blast

·
73 Posts
GetBulletsandbrass said:
Check out ATN I've used their new Night Arrow 2nd gen+ scopes. I used one back in Jan for a trip to Nevada and the scope worked great. The have these scopes available for $1,695 (less if you shop around through their distributors) for a Custom Grade Tube (CGT). I've also done some field testing on the Mars4x-WPT (white phosphorous). The WPT tube will set you back about $4,500, but the clarity is awesome.

If you hunt at close ranges (under 200 yards), you can get yourself an MK350 or MK390 for under $600 for a 1st gen scope. These work quite well.
Do you have a link of a dealer that handles the MK350 or MK390? That price seems to fit me and most of my shooting will be way under 200 yards . We have a bill in the State Legislation that will allow night hunting for coyote and hogs and thought if it passes I would purchase a good NV scope.

·
14 Posts

·
7 Posts
Hi everyone. Here in Wales, UK, I use a Cobra Merlin NV monucular with day scope adaptor. This is connected to a parallax adjustabe scope, and has a Yukon IR flashlight for extra IR.
This is a brilliant set up, although it cannot be compared to Gen 2 etc. I use it on my Tikka T3 Lite .243, and can clearly indentify foxes up to 200 yards.

Regards
Steve.

·
Super Moderator
23,250 Posts
Nice set up Steve, Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a NV monocular that I use along with a light. I like to switch between the two. Some of the time the monocular will pick up eyes and the light won't and vice versa. I have a hard time picking out eyes on a bright night using a light.
I just bought a new Gen1 unit for $149 to replace my old one that broke after 10 years.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have nv don't use it much. Most calling in WI I do when the moon is half full. Just using a lit redical seems to work well for me. If you have to choose color of redical make sure it is red. Green Is to bright.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I us a weapon mounted PVS14 from MOD gen 3 is the only way to go. I have used many other monocle's and decided to use a hand select pvs14 i can mount it on some head gear and quickly switch it over to my AR for that quick shot. It works in conjunction with my Aim Point comp-m2. You wont be disappointed. here is a link

1 - 20 of 32 Posts