Predator Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got me a used excellent condition Ruger Single Six chambered in 17HMR. Found it in the used gun library at Cabelas and it was the only one at all their stores nationwide. My first single action revolver. Going to be a great little gun for dispatching predators that are still alive after the initial shot. I also aim to kill some Grey Foxes at close range with this little guy.

Anyone have experience with a Single Six from Ruger?

- Mark
7fe3d04b7483c40490c02152a3574143.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
23,337 Posts
I've shot a few. They are great guns. Ruger is my choice in revolvers, hands down.

Reactions: Mark Steinmann

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Nice looking piece .. too bad it's such a pain to own one here in Canada . It would be ideal for your purposes as well as a dispatch gun on my snare line , much easier to pack than a full size gun . We can't even plink with one out on our farm , can only be used on a Govt. certified shooting range and permitted up the butt .

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great to hear guys. I've always wanted a revolver of some kind and the more guns I buy I find that I gravitate to the odd calibers for some reason. On this one I think the thought of a 2,000fps handgun sold me...just sounds plain fun! The trigger on this gun is super smooth and light, should result in great accuracy! Can't wait to get out and put it on some targets.

- Mark

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice looking piece .. too bad it's such a pain to own one here in Canada . It would be ideal for your purposes as well as a dispatch gun on my snare line , much easier to pack than a full size gun . We can't even plink with one out on our farm , can only be used on a Govt. certified shooting range and permitted up the butt .
What a bummer! The first thing that came to my mind was that it would be excellent for someone with a trapline as well.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I'm wondering if I found out why the previous owner sold this gun to Cabelas. I couldn't get the revolver to hit the target where I was aiming. The rear sight is down as far as it can go. I was impressed with my decent groupings on my first outing though so I'd like to get this resolved. The only option online is to buy a new front & rear hi vis sight but I don't think that would look too good. Any ideas?

Groups 1 & 3 are from 25 yards. Group 1 I was aiming at the bullseye, group 3 I was aiming at the bottom of the box.

Groups 2 & 4 are from 10 yards. Group 2 I was aiming at the bullseye, group 4 I was aiming at the bottom of the box.

I took a crack at a 4" rock about 80-90 yards out and hit it twice...so looks like it is accurate and on target at that range. Hmmm...

- Mark
294bb9e747d302e54df7a8fc2bc4445c.jpg

·
Super Moderator
23,337 Posts
Have you contacted Sturm Ruger ?

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Have you contacted Sturm Ruger ?
I haven't. I also learned that Cabelas used gun purchasing deal has a 10 day return policy. Return to Cabelas and they send it in to the manufacturer to fix issue. I think I'll give Cabelas a call tomorrow...probably the best way of going about it I guess.

- Mark

·
Banned
1,804 Posts
If you come across another let me know Mark...that would make a fine trapping pistol

·
Michigan Lifer
6,480 Posts
Just a question. When you say you were aiming at the center, I'm wondering if you can see the center of the target above the front sight. Or, in other words, if the entire center aiming point was in view on top of the front sight. Very difficult, if not impossible, at 25 yards, because the target is so large and black and an exact aiming point would tend to get lost. It would be somewhat of a guessing game at that range.

Iron sights must be adjusted so that you can see your target on top of the front sight, rather than to block any of the target with the front sight. I suggest using a smaller black dot instead of such a large target and try to get a sight picture with the small circle completely atop the sight and not blocked at all.

From the sounds of it, the previous owner may have set it up that way, or you'd never be able to see your 4-inch rock target at 80-90 yards. If the pistol had been sighted in to hit the short-range targets in the center, then you'd never be able to even see the target at 80+ yards.

In a previous life, I was a firearms range officer at a private club and found that many shooters were not familiar with setting up or aiming iron sights. Not that you don't know what you are doing, but I'd shoot at a smaller bull's eye before giving up and set it up like a lollipop view - just with a more-defined target.

What may appear to be aiming low is actually how it must be done with iron sights. Much different than with a typical scope when you center the crosshairs on the center of the target.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you come across another let me know Mark...that would make a fine trapping pistol
Will do Larry. There are a decent number of these on gunbroker.com , just a bit higher priced than Cabelas had this for.

- Mark

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just a question. When you say you were aiming at the center, I'm wondering if you can see the center of the target above the front sight. Or, in other words, if the entire center aiming point was in view on top of the front sight. Very difficult, if not impossible, at 25 yards, because the target is so large and black and an exact aiming point would tend to get lost. It would be somewhat of a guessing game at that range.

Iron sights must be adjusted so that you can see your target on top of the front sight, rather than to block any of the target with the front sight. I suggest using a smaller black dot instead of such a large target and try to get a sight picture with the small circle completely atop the sight and not blocked at all.

From the sounds of it, the previous owner may have set it up that way, or you'd never be able to see your 4-inch rock target at 80-90 yards. If the pistol had been sighted in to hit the short-range targets in the center, then you'd never be able to even see the target at 80+ yards.

In a previous life, I was a firearms range officer at a private club and found that many shooters were not familiar with setting up or aiming iron sights. Not that you don't know what you are doing, but I'd shoot at a smaller bull's eye before giving up and set it up like a lollipop view - just with a more-defined target.

What may appear to be aiming low is actually how it must be done with iron sights. Much different than with a typical scope when you center the crosshairs on the center of the target.

Good luck.
I was aiming with the center of the target on the top edge of my sights(imagine splitting a melon in half with a knife), not with the entire bullseye above the sight. I will have to go back and do another series of rounds down range to see how they land with the bullseye ABOVE the sight blade line.

Question for you though. If I was aiming center of target shouldn't the round still only be hitting an inch or two high at the 25 yard range?

- Mark

·
Michigan Lifer
6,480 Posts
Can't say for certain but when you change your sight picture, and depending on the size of the target you choose, you'll see a difference. For example, if you choose a 2-inch target as the lollipop, it will be quite different with a 3-inch circle, if you use the lollipop technique.

Try the new technique and you'll have your answer. You will not be able to dial it in for close range and still have any consistency at "long" range with the iron sights. Find the sweet spot. It's fun work.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Can't say for certain but when you change your sight picture, and depending on the size of the target you choose, you'll see a difference. For example, if you choose a 2-inch target as the lollipop, it will be quite different with a 3-inch circle, if you use the lollipop technique.

Try the new technique and you'll have your answer. You will not be able to dial it in for close range and still have any consistency at "long" range with the iron sights. Find the sweet spot. It's fun work.
Ok I'll give it a shot and see if I can get it to work. I'd rather avoid sending it in if I can help. I've also read up on some people adding some height to the front sight in order to avoid buying a new type of sight for it. Looks like some added to the top of the blade and others have shimmed under the entire front sight for added height. Even if I messed up the front blade it's available for replacement online for $8.

- Mark

·
Just a member...
6,793 Posts
Nice Mark... I have one in 22 LR/22 MAG. Great pistols

Glen is right... But don't wait around, sending a pistol to Ruger isn't cheep, you have to Fed X it overnight, if I remember correctly. $$$

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nice Mark... I have one in 22 LR/22 MAG. Great pistols

Glen is right... But don't wait around, sending a pistol to Ruger isn't cheep, you have to Fed X it overnight, if I remember correctly. $$$
Thanks for the tip Eric. I'll get out and check into it quick. If only I still worked at Ruger I could have a taller front sight built for free...lol.

- Mark

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
sweet pistol

i had one years a go(also one i had to sell at one time when we were down and out)

i had a the .22lr/.22 mag convertible model

they are great shooting pistols

still need to get one of them back into my collection

Reactions: Mark Steinmann
1 - 20 of 47 Posts