Predator Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my 450$ order of snare.building supplies to start putting together next falls snares ...in the process I discoverdd a little trick that should improve my catch rate .
When setting snares ot has always been a hassle ( no pun intended Rick ) to keep spring from swinging down and hanging in the loop , i tried bending the cable back to hold spring lights out and tho it worked I believe it hinders the speed of the spring .
I found that if you slide the eyelet end end of the trigger out away frim the next spring after setting trigger that it will pinch the cable enough to hold tge sprung in place ,thus keeping it away frim the circle ...clear as mud I know ..but it works.
Heres a few pics of last nights activities ,got 80 done , loaded , degreased and ready for paint .
436bef82882c7afdceb3c1c8846dc64c.jpg
da9b42ef1f3c0f24d4200e54643dcad6.jpg
87b19cb99cba1947464db39c7a7df0cf.jpg
249d8616134f2df2c1f8cbee4a3595ac.jpg

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
23,250 Posts
Very nice Cam. I see Deb is still putting up with you running them through her dishwasher. Lol

Reactions: C2C

·
Super Moderator
12,199 Posts
None taken Cam. Don the grease on the cables help lubricate the washer rollers etc., at least he is not using the dry cycle to cure after painting. looking good.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
None taken Cam. Don the grease on the cables help lubricate the washer rollers etc., at least he is not using the dry cycle to cure after painting. looking good.
Hahahaha...good idea Rick !! Maybe I shiuld try that..not! I got paint today ,6 cans of various tan and browns from Princess auto...$5/ can .
Also built a few more today ,some magnum springs as well as some cliff hangers with heavy breakaways and double end stops ..put a different color support collar on so I dont get em mixed up .
Into the dishwasher they go ...
2aa853acfe98dfa8f3a104c1f52e74d0.jpg

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very nice Cam. I see Deb is still putting up with you running them through her dishwasher. Lol
Thats one of the little things she puts up with ..Im afraid there are bigger .
She keeps telling me I need to slow down and not push this snaring so hard ..havent told her Im working in a couple more areas to snare this winter ..lol

·
Super Moderator
23,250 Posts
You didn’t need to mention that she puts up with other things, I think we all knew that. No offense to you but we’re all in relationships with women too so it sort of goes without saying. Lol

Reactions: hassell and C2C

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You didn't need to mention that she puts up with other things, I think we all knew that. No offense to you but we're all in relationships with women too so it sort of goes without saying. Lol
Lol..
No seriously Don , she is a saint ...cow crap tracked in on boots and clothes ,greasy pants and shirts from working on machinery, being late for meals ,the list goes on ..couldnt do it without her...and wouldnt want to even try .

·
Registered
576 Posts
Ain't it great when you find a good one!

I know after 47 years MINE is still the greatest Thing in my life.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
47 is quite a milestone congrats ..39 and counting here. She has found a few "memorable" items around the house in our time together, this is one of the tamer .
e71b53a6aa23574d9c80faf0b4b0e2fb.jpg

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Finally got em painted and some hanging to de scent in the wind..meanwhile my son jnlaw wants to go in and partner with me on my line this winter ...find and good except its my line that Ive gotten permission for .So I made him a deal , if he could get us permission to snare some property closer to the mountains with the possibility of catching a wolf we would share that place .gotta be careful what you wish for ,now Ive got another snare supply order coming with heavier cable and breakaways for some big dogs..lol.. looking forward to it .

·
Super Moderator
12,199 Posts
We're excited already, had a chance to go out with the top snare man for wolves years ago up north blew the chance, still regret it. Oh Well.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Im looking forward to it Rick,gonna definitely be a learning experience.. the chance of running into a winter bear goes up immensely with this new property and that doesn't thrill me ,just have to be aware and take it as it comes

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Next batch of parta is here ..heavy breakaways,750 # as well as more locks shock springs for traps as well as lure.the 750 is much beefier than my regular 265 ...guess I better get busy

·
Super Moderator
23,250 Posts
I can’t wait to read every word
of your exploits

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Looks like you’re getting things all planned out for this season good luck with the big dogs that would be great to see you holding one

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Finished up the last of the heavy snares and learning already ..an 18 in cricle loop doesnt leave much extra cable when circle is formed with a 5 ft snare so the last 25 I made are 6ft long ...my 7 year old grandson insisted on helping with the last 2 .And yes guys a wolf would be a great accomplishment if we can pull it off .

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Take any help you can get - especially the free kind.

The young man looks intent on getting it right.
He is a perfectionist Glen and very sharp...he had to have the parts positioned exactly right before he crimped ...I look forward to having him and his dad and brothers come with me .

1 - 20 of 33 Posts