Predator Hunting Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone every called in and killed a mountain lion. If I ever get a chance at it I think it would be awesome to witness it work its way in. We have bobcats around here they are still scarce so we cant shoot them but mabe someday we will have enough to have a season.

·
Super Moderator
3,707 Posts
I had 3 different lions come in last year on 3 different stands while I was calling cats. Two of them put the sneak on me and I didn't have a clue they were there until they made thier presence know. I saw the 3rd coming in throught the Oak Brush across a draw at about 110 yds. out. What surprized me is that she started her stalk around 70-80 yds out(just like a house cat putt'in the sneak on a bird). I turned the volume way down on the JS PM3 and called about every 1 min. When she got closer--I'd see her--then I wouldn't. Finally, I saw the Sage move at 20'. With ears flattened--she raised her head up just high enough to look across the top of the brush. I already had my S & W 629 mtn. revolver un holstered and in hand. I stood up and said "Beat it [Excuse my language.... I have a limited vocabulary] cat". She left so fast I bet there's a brown streak on the ground from that stand down to Hardscrabble Creek. Cats are a thrill--Lions are a bigger thrill. There's a high number of lions in this area of Colorado and I was in the right place at the right time.

By the way--2 came into Medolark Distress and the other to Squealing Bird

·
10 Posts
We had a lion stalk us and sit about 10 to 15 feet away for close to 20 mins before we noticed him. We were calling black bears with the Foxpro. I just got a weird feeling and stood up and he was gone before we knew it. Also my buddy that I was hunting with that day was doing the same thing the year before and they actualy shot a very large female at 10ft. They turnd around to leave and she was sitting right behind them. It is quite the rush when they get that close. Even more when you can't even see them till they are right there.

·
40 Posts
I've called about a dozen, killed 2, should have killed a 3rd. I have a library of e-call vocals and produce a vocal hand call. I have a page on my site with over 30 call-in stories on it... I'd like yours if you'll let me use it!

Cougars are my #1 target species... I live for it.

Reactions: bones

·
Super Moderator
3,707 Posts
I heard from some others that RainShadow has put a lot of time in developing his calls and are some of the best out there. Remember guys--- If your going to call the big furrie felines--make sure the call you use is LEGAL in your state. Here in Colorado it's hand calls only.

·
40 Posts
catcapper, get with cornstalker on the NPHA forum, he's working on a petition to get e-calls legalized for Lions in CO.

·
12 Posts
I have called lions in here in wyoming my findings are you have to have a pretty good idea where a cat is before calling as you cant pull them over a long distants but then again half the fun is scouting the wild country they live in .There is nothing more thirlling than being lucky enough to watch a lion stalk you with dinner on his mind .I use a fur or feather decoy and a coyote from edge expedite set out in front of me to give them something to lock on to i think it also helps me to see them first and faster 25 to35 yeards seems to work nice. We went to calling after the wolves killed 11 out of 13 of our hounds. Cant wait to get my chance at them.

·
40 Posts
Thanks Crilly, you ought to hear them echoing through the canyons!

Right on, Wyo. I always tell people, "Get where they can hear you, without them knowing you're there, and set up so you see them first!" Sounds simple, but....

Two schools of thought on decoys, long discussion....

·
68 Posts
I called it in, but was not hunting cougar at the time and did not have a cougar tag so I did not kill it.

Later I discovered that I could have killed it then gone into town and bought a couger tag. Still would have been an illegal kill, but I probably would have gotten away with it.

One thing you might like to know is I was trying to call in a cow elk, using what I thought sounded like a calf distress call.
It was one of those plastic things that folds over and has two rubber bands. I called off and on for about 45 minutes when the couger came to within about 25 feet of me.

I was really scared because I thought he was going to attack me. He was not easily discouraged and at one point I thought I was going to have to shoot him in self defense.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Just returned from Iowa, where I'm told you can shoot cougars if you're lucky enough to find one. However, I was told there was one shot this year in Marango, just West of Iowa City and a confirmed sighting in Plymouth County (NW Iowa). Sooo...hoped to call one. An hour and 20 minutes farther West in Yankton, SD, I'm told they are more common.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts