Predator Hunting Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Southern Michigan and have been hunting coyotes for the last three years. My friend and I haven't yet killed a coyote; lately, we haven't even been able to get a response. Unlike most people around this area, we haven't run yotes with dogs. We sit and wait for them to come to us while calling. Any thoughts or suggestions?

·
24 Posts
3 years and no kills? Time to get a new spot! I can almost always get a response with the young pup yipes just before dawn. Or a male challenge cry...

·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought a foxpro spitfire and haven't had time to go out. I go out at breaktime at work and call for them. I get responses with the serenade and with a siren.

·
Die Hard Member
3,652 Posts
Girdham
sounds to me your going about it all wrong---frist off break time at work isn't the best time to be calling. [but any time is better than no time at all]--first you have to use scent controll at all times. [your hunting the smartest critter in the woods] next you have to play the wind .very imporant!!! If you walk to your hide with the wind to your back and your scent in front of you the game is over. You've already lost. At your set-up sit the cross wind --mister yote has a comfort zone before he criclels down wind which every yote will do. Some father than others--hunting by your self you need to be looking down wind with some opening you can see for some distance-with a partner make sure one of you are watching downwind. Scout your area make sure yotes are active. Hunt frist light and last light more. And always have your spitfire call placed up wind of you and off to the right or left--i bet you've have call critters in just haven't seen them and they smelled your set-up. Don't give up once you kill one you'll be hooked for ever--hope this helps i'm from the up skip

·
Super Moderator
23,268 Posts
Welcome to the forum fr3d b3ar. Beware the giants that live on the plains of Montiel !

·
Resident Smart Aleck
5,842 Posts
fr3db3ar said:
What Skip said is all good information. I got a double my first year and still waiting for a chance to shoot some more
It's about time you joined Fred !! Welcome !!

·
Wildlife Manager
6,854 Posts
Welcome fr3db3ar.

·
Hillary for Prison
2,677 Posts
Welcome fr3, hope you enjoy the site.

·
6 Posts
glad to see some other MI hunters here...Ive been hunting coyotes severl years so far and have only dropped on....sad, another guy I work with got about 12 last year. : (

1 - 11 of 11 Posts