Predator Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to this site and would like to be able to help others with pelt put up and working the pelts for sale.

Have had a fur business for a hobby for over 25 years now, I'm not short some experience in this area.

Have trapped quite a bit as a hobbiest, don't know it all but can get by, look forward to other like minded people on this forum as well !!

·
Premium Member
3,439 Posts
Welcome to the site. Looking forward to your posts because the fur is one of the most exciting parts in my opinion. Even if it's not worth a whole bunch.

·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Some kind of Fur is always worth something and learning to work your pelts up the proper way and then storing them for the long term can actually make you money.

However just like most ever thing else there is a learning curve and practice in this case does pay off.

·
16 Posts
Hey i love to trap have been doing with my dad since i could walk! I have been on my own now for two years slowly learning from my mistakes and getting better each year.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I run snares and traps every year. I am cooped up recovering from heart surgery this year and not doing much. It is also a year when Texas furs are not worth much. You can't sell a coyote or raccoon. Grey fox and bobcat are so low in value here that I would not sell them for the prices our buyers are offering. I had been letting the fox and cats walk but shooting the coyotes and raccoons. I am supposed to go to Abilene at the end of the month and help trap and call coyotes to thin them down on an exotic game ranch. I hope the Doc clears me to go. ET

·
The King of Sausage!!
2,337 Posts
would like to learn the fundamentals of tanning hides. I trapped when I was young living in Ohio. Learned how to stretch and dry but never tanned anything. I some what tanned a rattle snake hide using some fast tan formula from Cabelas thats about it.

·
1,178 Posts
I used to sell my hides to a local buyer but with the prices being down he has stopped buying so Im thinking I well try and tan some of my own hides this year. should be fun and I hope some of them turn out haha.

·
5 Posts
Just starting out due to frustration of how low prices on fur are and figured I would start putting up fur myself, any tips on tanning at home would be appreciated

·
Registered
614 Posts
I tried that years ago. The time taken, chemical expenses and effort involved and the quality of the end product convinced me to have them tanned. I would flesh, dry and ship directly to a tannery. If you take them to most taxidermists they will ship them off to a tannery and charge you for their time. There are a few taxidermists that tan their own. I would recommend you get a price list from a few tanneries and see what you think. I would recommend Moyle Home

Here is a list of Wholesale Tanning Services
Taxidermy.Net: Wholesale Tanning Services

·
135 Posts
Well i have been trappin for 50 yrs now and it seems i can always learn something. But if any one has a question i'd sure be glad to try and help.First tip....NOW is the time to adjust, dye and wax those traps!!

·
184 Posts
onereddawg said:
I've never done anything with pelts. Are pelts really worth anything ?
Pelts can definitely be worth something! Especially if you handle them correctly and sell to fur buyers or taxidermists, you can get a lot from them. (You'd probably have better luck selling to taxidermists, since the fur market can be iffy sometimes)
I buy, tan, and sell all kinds of pelts each season. Its a great hobby, plus I can make a decent profit from it if I play my cards right.

·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I always prep with all paws on and have them tanned at Moyles in Idaho, always beat the auction prices, but I have to wait sometimes to sell too.

Most I've ever sold at once was 80 coyotes to a manufacture in Wisconsin for an average of 80 each, this when the market on western commercial dogs was in the low teens raw.

Skunks which most just throw away, I average $25.00 or more tanned depending on the stripes, plus one can sell the musk for as much as the pelts.

There's a market for every legal fur, however you got to market it either raw or tanned and they are both different markets, the former much easier than the later, but not necessarily the higher dollar pay off.

·
33 Posts
just started runnin raccoon hounds planning on putting up fur myself any ideas on what i should look for as far as strecher size all raccoon will come from mid south to southeast pa (bedford -chester ) counties also will be taking fox as well so any info on either ie skinning stretching drying etc will be greatly appreciated

·
Super Moderator
12,203 Posts
bison66 said:
just started runnin raccoon hounds planning on putting up fur myself any ideas on what i should look for as far as strecher size all raccoon will come from mid south to southeast pa (bedford -chester ) counties also will be taking fox as well so any info on either ie skinning stretching drying etc will be greatly appreciated
Just read all the info in this trapping forum, some of the guys inserted links where you can get all kinds of size requirements for furs.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts