Predator Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Wildlife Manager
6,854 Posts
A big difference in fur colour is that normal Laststep?

·
Super Moderator
23,221 Posts
That post is nearly a year old Matt. Hopefully he is still around.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Mattuk said:
A big difference in fur colour is that normal Laststep?
Matt, I believe the difference in color would have been a difference in coat phases. The top looks like it's still in the process of changing from its winter coat to its spring coat and the other is already there. Could be the difference of just a few miles in habitat.

·
Wildlife Manager
6,854 Posts
Thank you ebbs, interesting. We get different coat colour over here anywhere from almost silver to black but they are rare. I don't notice the winter coat change so much as we don't have the harsh winters like you and I stop shooting foxes when they have cubs and don't start back until late summer autumn. Yes the winter coat is a lot thicker than the summer but not like your foxes. They almost look fat!

·
Wildlife Manager
6,854 Posts
youngdon said:
That post is nearly a year old Matt. Hopefully he is still around.
I just saw it being viewed by a guest and made a comment, didn't look at the date!

·
Die Hard Member
5,393 Posts
My guess is that they are crosses. That first one sure looks like a red/grey cross. That or an artic cross.

But they sure are nice looking either way...I just enjoy seeing fox.

·
Wildlife Manager
6,854 Posts
So your red and grey can cross? You get Arctic foxes on Kodiak, interesting never thought about that.

·
Die Hard Member
5,393 Posts
I did say arctic but I was thinking silver....that would be my uneducated guess.

There are simular features to this fox and the one that Ellie FLTaxi shows on her fox mounted this winter.

·
Wildlife Manager
6,854 Posts
Silver Fox ok I'll have to look that one up Brian.

·
Die Hard Member
2,325 Posts
The arctic fox are white in the winter and turn color at the dirrerent times of year they may be a silver color in the summer I haven't seen that many, they are way up north. It would be 6hr. to Fairbanks. 8 hr. to Coldfoot, then8 hr. to Dead Horse. and that is about as far north as you can drive. I know of one fish and game guy that has made the trip 22 times. He said you see them then you call them in and shoot them, bow only area.

·
Wildlife Manager
6,854 Posts
Yes I know about the Arctic foxes colour change though out the year but never really thought of them that low down.

·
Super Moderator
12,160 Posts
Some of the Foxes keep their dark colors in the winter like the Cross's, have seen them many times ***** footing through the shop.

·
Wildlife Manager
6,854 Posts
Hassell how big a problem is the red and grey foxes cross breeding, I say problem more of an issue? Its like Red deer crossing with Sika deer over here only Sika aren't native.

·
Super Moderator
12,160 Posts
Mattuk said:
Hassell how big a problem is the red and grey foxes cross breeding, I say problem more of an issue? Its like Red deer crossing with Sika deer over here only Sika aren't native.
I was referring to the cross's in the arctic, I don't think we have greys, red's I know about.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts