Predator Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I use my 270 for everything that I hunt which isn't much since I don't hunt deer rifle I archery or black poweder. I am looking for a good long range rifle that won't break the bank specificly for yotes and bobcats. Let's hear some opinions.

·
1 Posts
Hi, I have just got a Savage 22-250 at Bass pro shop for $399 it has a 3-9 scope and is bore sited out of the box. I also shoot a 223 the amo it cheaper.

·
24 Posts
Whats your price range? If you give me a price range I could tell you what rifles would fit your budget. But the Weatherby Vanguard is a pretty cost effective rifle. Some of the Savage rifles I don't know too much about them cause I don't have one but lots of guys like them. The Remington sps varmint isn't too bad. I'd go with a 20 or 22 caliber. If you are going to just use it for predators.

·
40 Posts
marcwa,
It would be hard to beat a Stevens model 200 in .22-250, especially if you purchased the combo/package version with the 3x9 scope for $349. Savage owns Stevens, so it is an excellent rifle.

Good luck with your choices!
Good hunting, Bowhunter57

·
Registered
614 Posts
Stevens, Savage and Remington have some deals out there and also some package priced options. Look at .223 as it has plenty of power and cartidges are much cheaper than the other calibers.

·
6 Posts
I have researched a few guns and have been really pumped on a Savage 22-250 model 10Snow camo w/scope at $865....Is this worth the money or is there better for close to same dollars????

·
69 Posts
I would keep the 270 for open country coyote calling and go buy a Mossberg Tactical Turkey 12ga. for those stands that are tight with heavy cover. Thats where your more likely to run into the cats anyways.

·
69 Posts
RELucero said:
I have researched a few guns and have been really pumped on a Savage 22-250 model 10Snow camo w/scope at $865....Is this worth the money or is there better for close to same dollars????
Snow camo is nice when there is snow on the ground, but it sticks out like a sore pecker when everything is green. I am no fan of camo on a rifle anyways.

You can find lots of rifles priced at 5 to 600 bucks which would leave enough funds to purchase a decent scope for it. Savage would be good, CZ or Tikka would be others to look at.

·
13 Posts
Save your brass and reload 90gr pointed projectiles. There's your long range gun, everything from dogs to elk. If you don't reload see if someone will work a up a load for you.

·
79 Posts
Try the H&R .223. I bought one for my son. The gun came with the scope and a bull barrel for $190.00 brand new. This gun shoots as well as my Savage .223. The only drawback is the single shot, but if you miss the first shot, the second shot is not likely to be better.

·
118 Posts
Marcwa, I favor Savage because of their quality,accuracy,and easy on the pocket book. I have a Model 10 Predator in 22-250, mossyoak brush, if you like camo as I do go for it.
They come in .204, .223, .243. 22-250 and will cost you around $688.00 new.

·
61 Posts
the tikka t3lite is in the same price range as the savage. i like them both but there is just something great about the super smooth action of the tikka and they sure shoot extremely well. the weight is also considerably less than the savage as far as I recall from looking on gunbroker.com.

MG

·
118 Posts
I have not looked at a tikka, but know a man who has one in .270 wsm or wssm. He told me it was a realy smoth action and very accurate.

·
14 Posts
My personal preference is the H&R rifle too. I have my set-up with a .243 barrel.
Making your first shot count is critical since it is a single shot. If you're looking for a follow-up shot capability, buy a used bolt action in .223, .22-250, or .243 as recommended by other guys on this thread too. They are all great yote calibers.
Air gun Trigger Shotgun Gun barrel Gun accessory

Attachments

·
170 Posts
1) If you can afford it (since you did not mention price range) go CZ 527 you will never find a sweeter trigger on a factory gun. it is single set--just push forward until it clicks then just look at it hard an it will go off. that is a stretch but you get the idea.
2) if that is not in your range go for the savage with accutrigger they are hard working guns and made in the USA. next down the list would be the stevens --made by savage but no accutrigger.
3) caliber---223 or 22-250 just a guess but think the 223 factory ammo is cheaper but the 22-250 will reach further with better energy on the receiving end

·
38 Posts
I have a stevens 200 in 223 it is just kind of beater I bought it just to have around but for a backup or leave in the truck for groundhogs. It is a shooter it will will out shoot my AR and other 223 , that we have put against it . My buddy is always trying to get it off me but I wont get rid of it she's ugly and deadly .

·
85 Posts
I agree with reply#8 and #11...But if you need to buy I know that Rossi has low priced packages and combo's break action single shots in 223, 243,
7mm-08 the ones my friends have are accurate. 270 good all around. I use 25-06 boltgun, AR 223, 12ga and 20ga, 22LR.......SOMETIMES YOU NEED TO FEED THE HUNGER.......Firearms/Predator Hunting is ADDICTIVE

·
14 Posts
Has anyone tried out the Mossberg ATR rifle? I've been eyeballing this particular rifle since I read an article on this rifle that mentioned that they were were really accurate out of the box. Just been trying to figure out if good enough for some long vaporizing of varmints or if better off as a general purpose deer rifle. I remember reading that the MSRP on these with a scope combo was about $350.

·
69 Posts
GetBulletsandbrass said:
Has anyone tried out the Mossberg ATR rifle? I've been eyeballing this particular rifle since I read an article on this rifle that mentioned that they were were really accurate out of the box. Just been trying to figure out if good enough for some long vaporizing of varmints or if better off as a general purpose deer rifle. I remember reading that the MSRP on these with a scope combo was about $350.
There is a couple pictures of failed mossberg bolts circling around the internet. From what I gather they are press fit together and not a solid one piece design. I would never spend money on one. I could also take pictures of an A-Bolt that would scare the bejesus out of you if I could remember my camera next time I go to my gunsmiths shop. Probably wont buy one of them now either.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts