Predator Hunting Forum banner

In reference to the closed thread about Tony and Duckmaster

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  C2C 
#1 ·
I'm new to this forum, and I may be out of line, but I felt I needed to put my two cents in.

Sure, most people get their start calling predators by someone taking them out and showing them the way to pick stands and how to blow on a call. But I feel that 99% of folk's success has to do with practice. You can be taught by the best, world champion caller, but it means nothing if you don't get out there and call. Sure, you may go 50 stands without calling in anything, BUT without spending time calling, making mistakes, missing shots, and finding out what works for you and your area, you're not any better than when you first heard about predator hunting, or saw it on TV.

Your success depends on practice, experience, and hard work.....nothing else. This is true with most things in life in my opinion.

My dad taught me how to call when I was just old enough to shoot (about 8 years old), and he has been calling since the early 60's. I've been calling for over 25 years, and I'm still learning, and reading everything I can get my hands on. As well as soaking in any and all info I can from everyone who is serious about predator hunting, and even those who claim to be. And I don't consider myself even close to being a professonal. I do it because I love it, and always have, always will.

My point is, sure duckmaster may deserve a tiny bit of credit for introducing Tony to our fine hobby, but Tony himself is the one responsible for how successful he has become. And I've never met or heard of either man, but I felt I had to voice my opinion on the matter. (although I'm sure I've read about, or heard of Tony)

Sorry if I have opened up old wounds......mods, if you feel this is inappropiate feel free to lock or delete this thread; I didn't intend to start a pissing match if it comes to that.

Kuddos to Tony for being able to make a living doing what he loves. I wish I would have done the same.

See less See more
#2 ·
I must have missed the post you are talking about, but as for what you just stated, I agree. Every person that has a personal accomplishment should be proud of what they have done, even if someone gave them a little push or knowledge. I commend anyone you steps up and becomes good at whatever they are trying, thats what made this country what it is and we need more of it nowadays.

#4 ·
Yeah ...we got that straightened out a bit. Mr Duckmaster turned out to be not such a bad guy once he got past the bitterness, no sense in stirring the pot on this subject though.

#7 ·
Same age as you my friend and I agree with your thoughts . I went thru a nasty time when I quit the outfitter I used to work for , differing views and conscience made it impossible to work for him any more . Do I still hold a grudge ? No , I feel sorry for the guy as he doesn't know how lucky he is to be where he's at . Miss the area we were in and the clients who had become friends but don't miss the hassle involved .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.