Predator Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I tried this winter to bag me a yote and have failed miserably. I have a foxpro5 and mojo critter decoy. Either my sounds are wrong or I just smell too bad. I haven't even been able to see one. They have answered some of calls and I know they are out there but "discouraged" doesn't even describe it. I set up mostly in high CRP grass and can't get them out in the open. I ready to burn the grass and at least chase them with my 4 wheeler. Sometimes in the summer I'll be running the tractor and they'll come run along side me for a couple rounds. Now I can't even see one. UGH. I quit.

·
Die Hard Member
1,587 Posts
My Question is, Do you have someone to mentor you or are you hunting alone and trying to learn? If Possible try to team up with someone who is already proficient at calling and learn what you can from them. If not there is Ton of information here on the internet.

·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm hunting mostly alone. I like it that way mostly. I understand the basics of wind, setup, etc.... I go mostly in the evenings since that's the only time I can get away but everyone says the winter is the best time and winter has been LONG this year in Kansas. I have talked to some local people and they have given tips and even places that are a "guarantee" for them when they go out. I just want to SEE one come to the call or the decoy. My spirits are low and my feet are cold from sitting in the snow.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Try something different, get out of the grass and hit some brush, creeks or draws. Don't keep doing the same thing. Don't worry so much about the wind, sun, direction etc. Just go hunting and it will come. Go in the mornings or the middle of the day. If it is legal go at night. If something is not working don't keep repeating it, change up until you find something that works. If you are on public land use different sounds as public land predators have been pressured and can usually tell you what brand of rabbit call you are using.

·
22 Posts
just wondering if u have tried calling from the tractor or hideing close to it . maybe bushhog a little stop wait 20 then call from that area.sounds like they link the tractor to dinner.at this point anything mite work

·
119 Posts
otteb, I hunt quite a bit in Central Kansas, what town are you close to. Mostly I hunt around Concordia when I go that way. You are more than welcome to come out with us any time you want. I will send you a message with my phone number, I am actually planning a trip back that way in a couple weeks...probably the first weekend in March to try it and am gonna need a shooter. I run the camera when I go most of the time. Let me know.

Tommy

·
61 Posts
otteb, sounds like Tommy is going to set you up! I bet the dogs that you are calling have been called a lot already or at least a young one would have come for dinner by now. i try to stay out of the CRP grass. it is just too tall. set up on fencelines where you can see or on a slight rise. my stands are generally set up to see a hundred or more yards of pretty clear area into the wind or cross wind. it has worked that way for me for 30 years. dont give up. MG

·
Banned
68 Posts
Don't give up!!!! Noone likes a quiter. You have tried "your way", with no success, now try a diff way. There has been advise given to you by guys in your country, and even an offer to hunt. I have killed yotes (and all other critters) all over the country. Hunt the ground you have available. CRP IS JUNK!!! Hunt the edges, and creek bottoms, you can't kill anything you can't see!
You are callin yotes, you just can't see them. Keep your head up, and change your tactics.

·
Premium Member
3,439 Posts
Bad attitude, man! You need to stay positive! I spent 50 hours in the field before dropping my first deer. She was a yearling and produced only 29 pounds of meat. Worth the time? Some might argue...

I enjoyed every minute of it. It sure as heck beat work!

·
Die Hard Member
2,341 Posts
You don't know what I had to do this winter and still have yet to see one to shoot, saw two fox, one ran in front of the truck on the way to where we hunt and that is a 3 hr. drive one way. The last time we think we heard a Lynx and that is the best so far this season. The animals move around and the thing that keeps going is we know that sometime we will win a chance to take a shot. There are two of us and we do a lot of after action or lack of action talk. It is just like fishing you know they are there, some where. Just think of a dog named FIADO. ANY body know him?

·
Registered
614 Posts
Maybe you need to take a trip somewhere to where there are coyotes running out their ears and go hunting a while. Success will eventually come. If not now later in the year when the pups are running around.

·
652 Posts
Wilded-I was going to suggest the same thing. Go hunt somewhere else. It gives you a renewed sense of hope to have some brand new land in front of you. Give your normal spots a rest for a while, drive 30 miles away, knock on some doors and hunt some brand new land. I know to me there is nothing more exciting than knowing I have a brand new area to hunt.

·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
alright. I guess I'll keep at it. Try some different areas. Tommy and I might be able to hookup for some mentoring time.

·
28 Posts
Its tough to ever go it alone. like someone already posted i would try and get with someone who has hunted befor and can show you a thing or two. I for one didnt know a thing about any kind of hunting let alon yote, I joined up with a local predator club here in AZ and they are a wealth of knowlege. And clubs provide not only helpfull ideas but also can set you up with partners to go on hunts with. Stick with it and im sure one will show.

·
41 Posts
I was on a month and a half dry spell this past winter. I mean I didn't see a single dog. I must have went to 7 different farms. I know that they were there because I could hear them at night. Anyway, I just recently started seeing them again and it was worth the wait. I pulled off my first double with a friend (he got one and I got the other) with the wind blowing 30 mph and it snowing sideways but it was worth every minute. I have seen 8 in the last three hunts but haven't got a shot in. To me it doesn't matter. It is just that I am seeing them and learning every time that makes it all worthwhile.
Years down the road it won't be the number of coyotes that you have taken, it will be the hunt itself that will stick in your mind. By the way, I used to live in Prescott, Az. Killed my first coyote there. It is a lot harder hunting them back here in Tn. Keep your chin up and get to calling.

·
191 Posts
I keep hunting because if I didn't I would have to sit at home with the wife. No matter how bad it gets..... I think I would rather go hunting. Really just try and change some stuff up and come up with a pattern that will work. That's the fun of it. It's a challenge for sure.

Chris C.

·
41 Posts
I was on a month and a half dry spell this past winter. I mean I didn't see a single dog. I must have went to 7 different farms. I know that they were there because I could here them at night. Anyway, I just recently started seeing them again and it was worth the wait. I pulled off my first double with a friend with the wind blowing 30 mph and it snowing sideways but it was worth every minute. I have seen 8 in the last three hunts but haven't got a shot in. To me it doesn't matter. It is just that I am seeing them and learning every time that makes it all worthwhile.
Years down the road it won't be the number of coyotes that you have taken, it will be the hunt itself that will stick in your mind. By the way, I used to live in Prescott, Az. Killed my first coyote there. Keep your chin up and get to calling.

·
8 Posts
It has been an unusually slow year here for calling, nobody seems to know why. Last year I called in lots and got around 25, my brother does alot more calling than me and got close to 60 last year. This year nothing will come in to distress calls. I have gotten 6 and my brother about 15. The guys that are getting more said they are only having luck by howling and barking. Mix it up a bit with calls and see if you find one that works for your area. I actually was talking to a local yesterday and he said the call that has been working best for him lately immitates a bunch of magpies on a kill.

·
24 Posts
I'm glad to hear that you decided not to give up. I have been hunting coyotes for three years now with a buddy and neither of us have shot one yet. I haven't seen one yet to shoot either. I have a few places to hunt but I don't know if there are any coyotes at a couple places. The main place we hunt, we can get a response to howling. The other places, we haven't had a response at all. Even though we haven't had a response at those places, my buddy had seen a coyote one morning while goose hunting a field. This field is less than an eighth of a mile from where we have permission. Anyway, my point is that even though I am somewhat disappointed that I haven't seen anything in the 3 years; I am still excited to get out there and try. Knowing that there is a possibility that I could call one in. If and when I do, I plan on being ready for it/ them.

·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
3 years? That's hard on morale. I'm not even at 3 months and I'm ready to hang it up...man, you must be suicidal. That's impressive ..... I guess.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts