Predator Hunting Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a call Tuesday morning from a fellow Weimaraner owner about a family that bought a female Weimaraner 16 months ago and wanted to regime her. Their autistic child was mean to her and very rough, their other children wouldn’t help care for her either. Even the husband, who wanted her to be his running mate didn’t want her anymore because she was not very controllable on a leash. But apparently thought that it was bred into them, because he spent no time training her. After discussing it with my boss we decided to go see her. She was very standoffish at first but pretty quickly decided I was just gonna be her friend. We brought her home and she’s been pretty good. Her and Gus are full of energy. I’ll post a pic of her in a bit. She’s more of a “ blue” Weim. It just truly chaps my behind that they didn’t even try.

Reactions: Glenwhey

·
Registered
77 Posts
So cool, YD! There's really no excuse for humans to be ignorant of how dogs behave and interact with people. Training for humans is out there with people like Cesar Millan and other pros on YouTube. There are no shortcuts; reinforcing good behavior takes time - a commodity some folks cannot justify. The result: Blame the dog.

You and Deb are to be commended for taking the plunge and gaining another friend for life.

·
Super Moderator
23,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you. Gracie has really taken to Deb, Gus and I. The two of them rough house in and off all day and always want what the other one has but upon waking this morning I raised my head to see them sleeping up against each other. I reached for my phone to take a pic but tails were wagging before I
could.

·
Super Moderator
23,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I took both Gus and Gracie to the vet yesterday. Gus got his final series of vaccinations and Gracie got her yearly boosters along with a rabies shot she apparently never received. Both got their nails trimmed. It was a fiasco getting them both in and out of the truck. I tied a pair of extra leashes to the posts on either side of my folded up back seat to keep them from playing. I told the Dr. that getting them to and from the truck was like herding cats with clown shoes on. He nearly vaccinated me for rabies he was laughing so hard.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Just curious, YD. Do those dogs require a lot of exercise, and if so, how do they get it?

My sister has a pack of dogs near you that never get to run free because of cactus needles, snakes and the like. When visiting, I would take them for walks and none of them could ever get enough; just going for the leash caused a great commotion every time. Just for a day, I'd love to have them all to run and play with me in the green grass, where they could run 'till out of gas. I know it will never happen, but I couldn't help but wonder.

At least, I've had some pals with dogs I adopt temporarily.

My pal, MT, wanted to go on a short vacation where his dog was not allowed. Told him I'd watch the little guy for the weekend. Put him in the bedroom with me the first night, to keep our 5 cats separated from him. Into the night the cats would put their paws under my door scratching away at the dog, who was on the inside. Couldn't sleep a wink, so I took the dog to the garage, where I ended up spending the night with him. Never offered to watch the dog anymore.

·
Super Moderator
23,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They do require a good bit of exercise. As I’m sure you know they are bred to hunt( although most owners don’t) so running in the field is in their dna. So many want to get a Weimaraner because they are so cute with their big floppy ears and wash and wear fur. Then they take them home and want them to be a lap dog. The two I have now get played with every morning then a little more during the day, then in the evening I like to take them for a walk but it’s been so hot( and humid) that I’ve put the walk on hold and just taken them back to the yard to play. My back yard isn’t as big as I’d like but it’ll do. They chase each other around a lot during the day as well, eventually they’ll calm down a bit but remain pretty active throughout their lives. Weims have lots of personality, they like to be with their people. One would do well at your side.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts