Predator Hunting Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a spot here that seems to be GREAT coyote land. Scat is everywhere, along with chunks of leftover rabbit everywhere you look. It's prime rabbit habitat though, and from what I can tell, these dogs have no reason to respond to regular distress calls. I called one here a couple weeks ago using some howls along with a pup distress and I have a feeling that's the only thing that will get these guys moving but im not really sure. My guess is that they eat rabbit all night, and sleep all day and during the day is the only time I have to call them.

Since I am new to howling, I was wondering if you guys might be able to share a technique that might really get these dogs moving. I'm basing all of this on my ASSUMPTION that they are not hungry, so I really need to throw something else at them.

Would appreciate any and all advice on howling and your opinion on the above. Am I off base? What are my options?

·
119 Posts
This is just my opinion...your assumptions are pretty close. If they have a full stomach and a great supply of food, they are set...that is until an intruder comes into their area. In this situation I would take a buddy that is able to howl right along with you and throw a serenade their way. If you get an answer, listen for a quivering sound when they answer you back. This quivering howl is their way of saying they don't like these intruders in their area and will come fight. You can answer that by throwing the same howl at them and challenge back.

If you don't get a reply, combination call. Do a few more howls, and about 20 minutes later if still nothing has shown up, do some distress sounds. Follow these distress sounds with some Kiyis.

Tommy

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.