Predator Hunting Forum banner
5061 - 5080 of 5096 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,218 Posts
To frigging hot here to do any celebrating, suppose to cool off under a 100 the next week.
Wow ! That’s 212 Fahrenheit !

Reactions: Glenwhey

·
Registered
74 Posts
It's gonna be hot here, too, but upper 80s Sunday will be tolerable. Been hauling targets, spinners and gear to the range already and will set up the shelter Saturday. Looking forward to some bullet testing in .300 Winchester Magnum with bronze points. Already know they penetrate, because to date, it's the only bullet to pass through my 5/8" inch thick steel gonger at 250 yards (now at 280 yards.) Got the wet newspapers ready to catch a few bullets for inspection. Two cannons ready, too. And, after dark, I'm gonna launch an aerial fireworks display that I found in a vacant apartment while renovating it. It's huge, maybe 5 inches in diameter and says red/green on it. So, I buried a stove pipe in the ground and that will suffice for the mortar tube. No problem. Bullwinkle will be there to ignite it. What could go wrong?

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
don't know why but an old joke popped into my mind when reading this latest turn.

bob , joe and frank are working on a car in the garage
joe says ," don't know why but 50% of the time , we end up with parts left over ."
frank says," quick bob, what's that in a fraction?"

bob says , screw you guys ! I"m outa here!"

·
Super Moderator
23,218 Posts
I put it Fahrenheit for you guys Don, was 42C here yesterday.
Yeah, I figured. But you know it would be totally out of character for me to pass that up.
i was preparing to send you a box of ice cubes just in case though.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I do have the discharge chute tied open like that guy. Don't have any use for any green tractor, although "nothing runs like a Deere"...with a Farmall on its ass.

Heading out early to erect the shelter for tomorrow's shoot. Dang. 91 degrees tomorrow. Hot as the 4th of July. Looks like you Westerners finally delivered - that awful heat our way. Trying to figure out a way to tie my backpack blower down so we can aim the wind toward us tomorrow. I'm sure Bullwinkle will come up with something today.

I have some .300 Winchester Magnum loads inherited from an old friend. They're bronze pointed bullets and I know they are tough and am gonna push them into wet newsprint bundles for recovery and weighing. For comparison, I'll pit them against another premium bullet load. First time shooting my Browning A-Bolt since dismantling for its facelift.

And, that 5-inch mortar will be launched after dark. Hoping to get a short video before the cops show up.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Another sweltering, steamy day starting off at 75 degrees and heading to 90 or so. Cooling off later this week when the highs won't reach 75 degrees.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
it is to hot to remember but I think we are on our 8th or ninth day of 100 plus days. looks like we may get a cool wave towards the end of the week tough with the highs being forecasted as only 99.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Cooing trend is underway and so is the rain. Again. This time it brought with it skeeters.

I drove into the garage with the car yesterday eve and the skeeters were humming like a chainsaw, as the door went down. Door to house was locked, so I knocked for my wife to open the door. She didn't hear me. I scooted out of there, as I was being attacked all over and got in through another door. Mowed the yard yesterday late afternoon where the skeeters were hiding in the tall grass. Blew them everywhere and as long as I kept the Kohler-powered Zero turn humming at 8 mph, all was fine and got the place mowed in record time. One helluva hatch this time around.

·
Super Moderator
12,157 Posts
Ya they are thick here also, haven't mowed the fields yet and they are around 6 ft. high so a few hiding in there.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
been so dry and hot here ,I haven't noticed many skeeters in my travels this year.

I guess this drought has one benefit

·
Super Moderator
23,218 Posts
Not many here either. Thankfully! It seems my message to a few neighbors to stop watering at night has finally taken hold.

·
Registered
74 Posts
58 degrees at wake-up with clouds everywhere - clouds of skeeters. Worked on the food plots yesterday disking and fertilizing. Planting 3 weeks from now.

Lots of deer. Had a fawn running at full speed like its tail was on fire and it stopped about 12 feet from me and just stared and made a few sounds. I had to scare it away, before it followed me home.

Garden likes the heat and rain we've received. Melon vines are growing about an inch an hour, or so it seems. Garlic about ready for plucking.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
saw two yotes hunting around in a fresh cut hay field last evening. looked like younguns! they sure are ratty looking around here right now. the heat this year has been brutal.
sounds like one more week of 100 plus temps and then we may drop into the mid 90s. still hot but I'll take it.

5061 - 5080 of 5096 Posts