Predator Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After plenty of sweltering days with high humidity, we will get the predictable down-turn in temperatures beginning this week with highs in the 70s and lows in the 50s. Looking forward to small game hunting that begins in two weeks. Gonna be comparing elevation differences between high-velocity and standard (sub-sonic) rimfire ammo at various distances. I'll tap my ammo stock enough to get things tested and dialed in and will use my 84 year-old Marlin model 81 bolt gun for the exercise.

Once finished, I'll dial in some Lapua Center X sub-sonic ammo for hunting in a few select firearms. I already know it's the most accurate .22 rimfire ammo I've ever run across and most of my rimfires are already set up for this ammo. View attachment 40371

These critters were all taken with the Lapua Center X ammo and a Marlin Golden 39A from one stand a few years ago.
Short video of the action: <iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Plant Tree Dinosaur Terrestrial plant Wood

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After plenty of sweltering days with high humidity, we will get the predictable down-turn in temperatures beginning this week with highs in the 70s and lows in the 50s. Looking forward to small game hunting that begins in two weeks. Gonna be comparing elevation differences between high-velocity and standard (sub-sonic) rimfire ammo at various distances. I'll tap my ammo stock enough to get things tested and dialed in and will use my 84 year-old Marlin model 81 bolt gun for the exercise.

Once finished, I'll dial in some Lapua Center X sub-sonic ammo for hunting in a few select firearms. I already know it's the most accurate .22 rimfire ammo I've ever run across and most of my rimfires are already set up for this ammo. View attachment 40371

These critters were all taken with the Lapua Center X ammo and a Marlin Golden 39A from one stand a few years ago.
Short video of the action: <iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

View attachment 40372 View attachment 40372
Sorry about the double photos. Can't make one go away.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Same here, Fred. Got one of my old Mossbergs dialed in yesterday. The old semi-autos need to be very clean or functioning becomes problematic. Got one tuned in and next thing I knew, it wouldn't feed anymore. Did a quick clean of the action and added some dry lube and back in action.

The one shown is the only one without a scope. The original sights are unique in that the front sight has a total of 4 options under the hood. Pop the hood off and they are all there. Flip up the one you want and off you go. As bad as my eyes are, I can still work this one with the peep rear sight, but don't use it to hunt.

Bullwinkle's coming over with his fancy Ruger 10/22 and Leupold glass today to get it on target.

I'll be in the big woods on the 15th with an old pal. He's into the sub-sonic ammo, too.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
This is something I need to get back into I loved sniping the old tree rats with a 22 LR years ago good luck to you and Bullwinkle

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, Pokey. Bullwinkle got his two 10/22s dialed in but will miss the opener on the 15th, because he's still manicuring the golf course.

One of my "tractor friends" owns a gorgeous hunk of land replete with mature nut trees and they are full of squirrels he doesn't want. I'll be hunting with an old friend who's in for a treat. We'll be there when the sun comes up.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Opening day of small game season didn't go as planned. My pal was supposed to show up at my place at 6:45 am for opening day. When he didn't show, I went out back at my place instead of going to another woods, as planned. He texted me at 8 am saying he was sorry for now showing up.

Hard to depend on anyone anymore.

Popped two red squirrels by myself. Man, were they cutting the walnuts down. Easy to find the little squirrels; harder to get shots at them, though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts