Predator Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I am new to the site, and I love it! So I am fairly new to the predator hunting thing, i have been trying to shoot some for two years now and only had the chance to shoot at them, they don't like to commit. i listened to the talk show on the web site, full of info! But this is my question:
What is your favorite caliber for hunting these animals. And why?
1) .17 HMR
2) .223
3) 30-06
4) Shotgun
5) Other

·
18 Posts
I use: 22 mag, 223 Rem, 223 WSSM, 280 Rem, and a 12 gauge. I would also like 2 get a Ruger 204, a 220 Swift, and a 243 Win.

·
27 Posts
I use a .223, .22-250, .243, 7.62X39 and 12 gauge in different situations and for experience. I recommend that you look seriously at a .223 for your first rifle. Range is generally good and the round is very sound at typical call-in ranges (50 - 120 yards). You don't lose the predator in your scope recoil, the round is heavy enough to be lethal in nearly all situations, the round is reasonably priced and accurate in nearly any configuration of rifle. Even the hollow point 55-grain Wolf brand of ammo is accurate and deadly enough for nearly all coyote calling situations. I've had good luck with all of these rounds. The .243 is hard on fur but will reach out on windy days. I use 58-grain V-max loads with excellent luck. The 7.62X39 is a vastly underrated round. I have a bolt action Russian BARS 4-1 that is a tack driver. Both of these rounds will also take deer with ease. A 12 gauge shotgun is excellent for close cover and night calling and can be very effective out to 40 yards with most loads but only a few with very specialized chokes will reach farther with consistency. A .223 is an excellent compromise round with good characteristics.

·
13 Posts
for predator calling I use either my 223 AR or my 204 encore and my 12 gauge. I have used other calibers but these work so I stick to them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I use a 22-250, I like it for its accuracy, and its ability for flat shooting at long distances. I shoot a pretty hot hand load, 3,961 muzzle velocity, with a 40 grain Nosler ballistic tip, dime size groups at 200 yards and 3.3" drop at 300 yards.

·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
IBGunner said:
I use a .223, .22-250, .243, 7.62X39 and 12 gauge in different situations and for experience. I recommend that you look seriously at a .223 for your first rifle. Range is generally good and the round is very sound at typical call-in ranges (50 - 120 yards). You don't lose the predator in your scope recoil, the round is heavy enough to be lethal in nearly all situations, the round is reasonably priced and accurate in nearly any configuration of rifle. Even the hollow point 55-grain Wolf brand of ammo is accurate and deadly enough for nearly all coyote calling situations. I've had good luck with all of these rounds. The .243 is hard on fur but will reach out on windy days. I use 58-grain V-max loads with excellent luck. The 7.62X39 is a vastly underrated round. I have a bolt action Russian BARS 4-1 that is a tack driver. Both of these rounds will also take deer with ease. A 12 gauge shotgun is excellent for close cover and night calling and can be very effective out to 40 yards with most loads but only a few with very specialized chokes will reach farther with consistency. A .223 is an excellent compromise round with good characteristics.
Thanks for the advice i actually was looking into getting a 223, my buddy has one and he loves it!

·
49 Posts
243. i've had the 17 rem, 22-250, 223, 223shortmag, 220 swift and the 243 i still have the 243 the others are gone. (had the 243 first too)

·
9 Posts
There are so many choices between bullets and rifles etc. I appreciate the information as well. In the long run you have to make a choice and hope for the best but it's nice to gain as much insight as possible before dropping $$$$$$.

·
7 Posts
I shoot the same as Adam exactly and I love it the bullet in the chest never exits and drops them in their tracks, I had an great streak of not missing a coyote until yesterday. anyway you will love the 22-250 and never regret buying it. Bruce

·
Be vewy, vewy quiet!
2,695 Posts
.17 Remington, .204 Ruger, .222 Remington, .223 Remington, .22-250, .243, .25-06, .270WSM, .308

·
10 Posts
i use a 22-250 rem. and it has never let me down in the 4 1/2 years ive had it, in the exception of poor shooting on my part. and i use the winchester 45 grain jhp. fragments enough to keep everything in and not blasting a big hole out the other side.

·
27 Posts
I was calling in Oklahoma last weekend and using my .223 Ruger 77 (shooting 55-grain Hornady V-Max). A large male coyote came in at mid morning and hung up about 400 yards out on open wheat. It was in a dish like depression so the wind was really not a factor. After a few minutes when he turned full boadside and just stood there I decided to try a shot off my Pole Cat shooting sticks. Dialed the scope to 12 power and aimed about a half foot over the top of his back (this rifle is sighted in two inches high at 50 yards). My partner thought I was nuts. Anyway he was watching through the binoculars and said the bullet impacted just under the coyote's chest. I thought I had a hit but no. Anyway, the whole point of this story is that even a .223 can surprise you with its range potential under the right circumstances. On the other hand, I believe that if I have been using my .22-250 Savage, I probably would have made that shot. But this is the first credible shot attempt opportunity I've had at a dog beyond 120 yards this year. Most of my coyotes have been taken at 40-100 yards and a .223 has been more than adequate. Just food for thought.

·
45 Posts
.223 caliber.I belive this is one of the best rounds to predator hunt with.
There are so many diffrent kind of rounds for this caliber and if the game
gets too big.there are always 5.56 rounds.I would't just use them in any ol 223.
I would check with the manufacturar first.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts