Predator Hunting Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shot my first coyote, ever, with a bow. However, it was not an intentional hunt for coyotes, as I was in a treestand bowhunting deer and he happened along. I had to wait for him to look away, due to their excellent vision, I was certain that he'd catch my movement. The shot was about 12 yards with a Steel Force 4 blade broadhead that "zipped" through both lungs. Suprisingly, he ran about 100 yards before dropping over. It was a 40 lb. male.

I don't recommend bowhunting coyotes, on purpose. They're always on the move, don't give you time to range them, could catch you drawing the bow and are not known for offering the best of shot angles.

Have you ever shot a coyote with a bow?
Good hunting, Bowhunter57
Plant Tree Gesture Grass Fawn

Attachments

·
38 Posts
I Shot at one it was barking at our decoy and by the time i got a shot filming light was gone and i tried to make it happen it hit but we had no clue as to where. At the shot there was a thump and the coyote squalled but we couldnt find blood or the arrow. My brother on seems to be a coyote magnet when we are deer hunting he shot one one night and when we met at the truck I noticed a blood soaked arrow in his quiver he said oh yeah i shot a coyote again then said he heard it crash and didnt care to go get it . He's not much into yotes.

·
79 Posts
I killed one while bowhunting for deer this year. I had two crossing a ridge about 80 yds from my stand. I started squeaking with my lip. The first one stopped and sat down the second one came in and I shot it at 20 yds. This is the second one I have killed with a bow in 19 years of deer hunting. I always get excited when i have the chance to call one in and make the shot.

·
119 Posts
5 or so from the treestand or stalking muleys, 2 while actually calling. It is probably the toughest thing I have ever done with my bow but I love a challenge.

·
196 Posts
taken some with the bow while deer'n it but never tried while calling dawgs. Gotta be tough--i will be trying it though. Sounds like another rush/addiction.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I need some help with this one, continue reading and you will learn my dalemia. I had a tuff year bow hunting whitetails. I had many early season hunts where I didnt see a deer and just couldnt get one them. Well, one evening I went and hunted a new farm in a 4 way crop fence row intersection. I sat there for like 3 hours and never saw a deer. It was a perfect night to, dead calm and cold. Well at last light I heard rusting in the corn and out popped a coyote. My bow was still hanging and as calm as it was I thought Ide have trouble getting drwn on it. Then out popped another one. Thats when they started to play and lick on each other giving me some noise and distraction to draw my bow. They looked so happy playing with each other......thats when I smoked the big male. I felt so bad after shooting him though.....He looked so much like my yellow lab...i swore i wouldnt shoot one anymore. But now 3 months later im itching to do my annual post season coyote hunting. Should i feel bad about shooting these song dogs and throwing them in the ditch?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have harvested two with my bow while deer hunting. I did manage a stalk on a red fox while I lived in Ontario Canada on a fence line

·
135 Posts
The dog in my Avatar is my first bow yote. Man did he yelp too. But not for long. it was a 30 yd shot he turned went 30 more yds and piled up. I have to say here that i have missed 3 others.

·
135 Posts
Heck no ! don't feel bad!! If they saw your dog in that field then you would have something to feel bad about. Around here they eat dog for lunch ,even if your dog got away from those yotes it would have cost you plenty in vet bills.

·
7 Posts
I never feel bad shooting them, but I do wish I had someone who wanted the pelts? I live in Wichita, KS if you know anyone who will buy or just take the pelts, let me know.

·
1 Posts
i was turkey/deer hunting last fall and had a coyote try to sneek up to my turkey decoy i gave him a taste of carbon instead he ran leaving a very large blood trail after about an hour i decided to go find him then the turkeys came onto the field after the turkey moved off out of range heading for their roost i continued looking for my coyote then the entire pack started yipping and howling so i turned and left not worth the fight but i know there is one down and many to go

·
Super Moderator
23,275 Posts
Sounds like a fun hunt lewis95 Welcome to the site.

·
7 Posts
Yes I have taken 5 with my bow, actually arrow. All within 15 yards or less. calling in tight cover. also taken bobcat and grey fox in N. Calif. foothills.

·
608 Posts
BH57 That is a difficult task I haven't got it done yet. I always get busted pulling my bow back.

I never feel bad for shooting them they have killed and ate enough of your deer fawns so you can look at it that way you might be saving your next buck or saving the neighbors cattle.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts