Predator Hunting Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy Latrans and I did a spur of the moment hunt last night in Williamson County. We took only hand calls and hit the road calling from the truck. We managed to call in 5 Grey fox, 2 Coyotes and one Ringtail. The Coyotes got down wind before they were shootable and busted us. We let one fox get away so we ended with 4 Grey Fox and the Ringtail. Even though it was a thrown together trip we had a great time and had a little success.

latrans with the kill

latrans in the shooting perch

yours truly with the kill

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The ringtail (Bassariscus astutus) is a mammal of the raccoon family, native to arid regions of North America. It is also known as the ringtail cat, ring-tailed cat or miner's cat, and is also sometimes mistakenly called a "civet cat" (similar, though unrelated, cat-like omnivores of Asia and ffice:smarttags" /><ST1:place w:st="on">Africa</ST1:place>). The ringtail is sometimes called a cacomistle. The ringtail cat is the creature with the lemur like tail in the picture. They have a musk smell not unlike a weak skunk smell.

·
Premium Member
3,439 Posts
I'd say that's a good day of calling. I really like that ringtail.

Williamson is where I will be staying as of next month. I hope to find some spots that will yield even 1/2 the success that you've had.

I just spent 3 days in Northern Missouri. Setup probably 20 times and only saw 2 dogs, and they winded us before we could get a shot. Chasing predators in MO is proving to be a frustrating task.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts