Predator Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 206 Posts

·
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just what the thread says. Let's see some of the neat stuff you have made yourself for predator hunting. I'll start it off:

I have been making tactical gear now for some time. Mostly for myself or some special order stuff for friends. Here is a chest harness and admin pouch that I made over the past weekend for hunting. I like having everything I needed organzied and ready to go. I can't tell you how many calls and small stuff I have lost out in the woods.

Here's a look on the inside with it all the way open.

Looking down from the top with just the top part of the zipper open.

Front flap will also hold a cell phone and other small items.

I have a clam shell design for a back pack that can be used to to tote around a Foxpro and decoys. Just unzip it to open it up and your ready to go. I'll post some pics up when it gets done.

Chris C.

·
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's one of favorite tools for hunting open fields. I took my camera tripod that I never used and painted it. Then took the gun rest piece off my shooting stick and fit it to the dovetail attachment. Now I have a rock solid rest for shooting some really long shots. Took a deer this year using it at 427 yards. It's like shooting off a bench rest.

·
Premium Member
3,439 Posts
Man I really like that chest harness. Great work!

I thought about doing the same thing with an extra tripod. I know most bipod's are fitted with the same 1/4-20 screw and you can pretty much hot swap the stuff all around.

·
79 Posts
I don't have a picture, but I mounted a motion light on a 5' pole. The light/sensor runs off a 12 volt battery. The sensor has a range of about 40'. I set the light about 20' infront of me. I sit back and call, and when the light comes on there is something in shotgun range. You have to identify the animal and take your shot quickly, but this works. I prefer to use this with 2 guys, one caller, one shooter.

·
27 Posts
headhunter25 said:
Just what the thread says. Let's see some of the neat stuff you have made yourself for predator hunting. I'll start it off:

I have been making tactical gear now for some time. Mostly for myself or some special order stuff for friends. Here is a chest harness and admin pouch that I made over the past weekend for hunting. I like having everything I needed organzied and ready to go. I can't tell you how many calls and small stuff I have lost out in the woods.

Here's a look on the inside with it all the way open.

Looking down from the top with just the top part of the zipper open.

Front flap will also hold a cell phone and other small items.

I have a clam shell design for a back pack that can be used to to tote around a Foxpro and decoys. Just unzip it to open it up and your ready to go. I'll post some pics up when it gets done.

Chris C.
That is one sweet harness. Did you make it at home or work (LOL)?

·
191 Posts
I learned how to sew on my own thru trial and error and reading on the internet. I am in serious need of a new commercial machine but they run in the $1500-2000 range. 1000d Cordura is some pretty thick stuff. Reguardless of the cost one should be in the works shortly. For me it's just a hobby but I have been getting folks asking me to build stuff for them and a commercial machine is so much faster. Thanks for the nice comments fellas.

Back to the rig. I would like to have everything the same camo color but this one is just a prototype made out of remments that I have left over from other projects. I was looking today for some durable "realtree" type material with no success. If Multicam wasn't so expensive I would use that exclusively. We'll see how it goes.

Chris C.

·
31 Posts
Here is a snare pole I made last fall. It is more for trapping but I thought I would share.

Materials needed

5 ft x 3/4 inch plactic PVC.
8-10 ft. coated cable
cable crimps
1/2 in plastic water valve
PVC glue

I had all this stuff laying around the basement. I built this on a whim when I was bored. If I had a cap for the PVC it would of made this even a little nicer. I would of used it on the loop end & put my crimp inside the cap.

·
45 Posts
All of these are great i really like the tri-pod myself the most.I've really been thinkin of building something like this.stuff like this is so much cheaper to build on your own.If your good with your hands you can usually make something really nice and you can customize it.I've seen alot of nice homemade stuff like E-calls and they was a forum earlier this month a member of predator talk i can't remember exactly who made a walkin stick that doubled as a bi-pod.That was really nice.

·
Be vewy, vewy quiet!
2,695 Posts
I have never been able to make myself paint a rifle stock, especially a high end wood stock. This is my Remington 700 BDL in .17 Remington. What I did was buy some mesh camo material from Wally World and cut some 6" strips. I folded it in half to make a denser material to hide shine. You simply wrap your rifle from muzzle to butt. You will have to skip the bolt, trigger area. I then made a "bonnet" to cover the scope. Make it wide enough to drape over the area around the bolt. The material just hangs off the scope so it does not interfere with bolt or trigger operations. Secure it with rubber bands, tape or bread wrapper ties. It not only camos your rifle, it protects the finish from scratches. Want to use another rifle? Unwrap one and wrap up the other. After you cut all your material it takes about 5 minutes to camo a rifle.
Before and After:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,439 Posts
Really haven't got into making a lot of stuff myself. Just picked up some paracord and knocked out this bracelet and drag though.

Picture 303..jpg
Picture 302..jpg

Attachments

·
24 Posts
Its really great what you can come up with. I take lots of photographs and have several tripods just sitting around. I think I just saw a great use for one of them, dont know why I didnt think of it. Oh well its good someone thinks outside the box. Liked the chest pack also, should market them you could probably do well with them

·
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here's the final finished out version:
Left side pocket can be used to hold a bottle of water, gloves, and a can of chew:

Right side pocket holds a MOJO Critter and 2 spare AR mags:

Front view of yours truely in the rig. The wife isn't the greatest with the Nikon. And yeah I know my camo is faded out bad. I need to go and buy some new stuff.

I have to crank a couple out in Mossy Oak camo for a couple of locals. When I get the first one done I'll post some pictures here. I think I will leave the MOLLE off the front of them. What do you guys think? On or off?

Chris C.

·
191 Posts
I really haven't worked out a solid price yet but for for the rig, front fold out panel, and 2 cargo pouches it's probably going to be around $150. Seems kinda high but it very labor intensive. On a side note I just ordered 10 yards of Mossy Oak Break Up in 1000d Cordura. Should be in on Wed-Thur. When I get a new commercial machine in a couple of weeks it will be a much faster process.

For those that would like I am also going to order about 10 yards of 1000d Cordura in Multicam. I have to make a couple of suppressor pouches for some guys going overseas and I'm kinda curious as to how one of these rigs will work out in that pattern.

Chris C.

1 - 20 of 206 Posts