Predator Hunting Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hunting Sunday morning, and had something new happen. I set up and started calling with a cottontail distress call. After about 1minute coyotes started howling from the timber about 600 yds away. I have never had this reaction to calling before. Are these educated coyotes that have been called to and missed before? I switched to a different distress call and then tried a pup distress call (I am not good with this call). I never did see the coyotes. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

·
652 Posts
Dude this has happened to me and it is not good news. I am no professional but in my experience when they howl at your distress call like that, they have probably heard it before. I would try a challenge howl. It is like this-you have a couple howling at you and chances are that one is a male, possibly the dominant or alpha male, so start challenging him. My reasoning for this is that they obviously aren't coming to anything else so who really gives a crap if you scare them off. I personally think you will find a male to come in to the challenge as this is a very territorial time of year for coyotes. I have one more suggestion for you. Get one of your buddies and set them out a few hundred yards in front of you, or within a couple hundred yards of where you think the howling is coming from, make sure you don't make a peep until your buddy is set, they obviously feel safe at the distance they are from your calling, so maybe your buddy will have a chance to shoot unsuspecting dogs. Give it a shot. hope it works

·
Banned
33 Posts
I disagree on jumping to the conclusion that you are busted. It depends on the type of howl they are giving you. I have groups howl all the time when I'm calling with distress. If it's more of a group howl, it could be a case that they are announcing their presence and want to know if there is another group in the area. You may not be in their core area and more of a shared fringe area. If it's a busted type howl, one that is mostly warning barking, then I'd agree with the busted comment.

When I get a group howling at me like that, I'll switch right into howling back at them. Then, switching over to coyote distress, challenge howls, more coyote distress....mimicking a fight. It's worked on quite a few occasions.

Tony

·
Banned
68 Posts
Busted!!!! maybe, but more likely, you are calling yotes that will not cross"the line in the sand", thats the territory boundry, sometimes a river, a dry creek, or just a fence line. Could be an unseen line. It happens here quite often. When it happens to me, I quit calling, back out quietly, and come back in a few days, but go to where they howled at me from.Just what works for me. The challnge howls may work, but so could anything else. You have to decide if its worth it to educate them,and /or waste time, or come back later. just a choice.

·
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I went back to the same area yesterday after work. I set up on the other side of the woods from where the coyotes howled at my call on Sunday morning. I called in two coyotes - killed one and educated another. I don't know if the coyotes just wouldn't cross the "line in the sand" on Sunday or if I was busted, but it worked out on Wednesday. Thanks for the replies.

·
19 Posts
I'll lean towards the side that you weren't busted. Sometimes in my experience, coyotes can sometimes be set off with just the loud sound. Especially if you're hearing lots of longer howls and pack howls. Why do guys use a siren to locate coyotes? Same concept. You are definitely right about crossing the "line in the sand" sometimes. Sometimes coyotes just don't want to travel that far to investigate. You did the right thing by recognizing the fact that there are coyotes in the area and switching things up and heading back in after them. Good work!!

·
Banned
68 Posts
Whether what I said helped or not, I'm glad you stayed withit, switched things up, and made a kill.
I have played this game for over 20 years, and learn stuff every day. Put this one in your memory bank, and use it at a later date.
You learned a great lesson this time. All of hunting, predators, or big game, or even fishing, is learnin from what happens, and use that to "seal the deal next time." You did great!!!!!

·
8 Posts
Everytime Ive had them howl at a distress call....they never show.
They sure do make a lot of noise....but never to be seen.
Now I am not a pro by any means...just my experience

·
Magister Invisibilis
1,811 Posts
I totally agree with Tony on this one guys. Just because a coyote howls at you, seldom mean "You're busted". In fact, I have had many coyotes howl at me and then a bit later, come running in. My feeling was that the dog howled when he started hunting me. If a coyote barks repeatedly, then you're busted. I have seen this happen before my eyes. Three yotes coming into the call, the older, more educated coyote staying back in cover. The two younger dogs racing each other. Older dog started barking (like a dog bark, short and quick) and the two hard chargers stopped, mingled around, wanting to proceed but in the end, turned around and left. Unbelievable, that old dog shut me down. But a coyote howling at the call, you still have a good chance, and my experience says, "stay on the call, he's coming!" I just had to revive this all important thread from way back.

·
1,087 Posts
I'm glad you did JT because I have heard them do both. I wasn't calling to them at the time, but have defiantly heard both sounds, the howl and that hard barking sound. This gives me a better idea as to what is going on. I sure didn't know before.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts