Predator Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
So as you guys know, I'm in the animal control/nuisance wildlife business. I handle any and all wildlife, with the exception of gators (no money in it).

Lately, the coyote situation in Orlando has come to a head. They are so overpopulated that people are legitimately scared for their pets. ESPECIALLY in suburban settings.

Here's the problem: getting an HOA to pay for my services is like pulling teeth. To this point, I've only had one HOA actually pony up and pay me. Granted, even though I've been in this business awhile, my company is only 3 months old. So, not bad considering.

I get a lot of calls for coyotes but as soon as I quote a price, I don't hear back. The problem is: I have a business to run and coyote jobs aren't easy. Fun... but not easy.

Here's my idea to get more coyote and hog business: I would like to provide my services for free to anyone who has a coyote or hog problem on private property. Not only that, instead of doing a two-week job, I'll provide ongoing maintenance of the population.

You might be wondering: "Wait, I thought the idea was to make money?"

Here's the solution: Instead of having the customer pay, just get permission to hunt on their property. Then, take other hunters on guided coyote and hog hunts with my land connections, resources, and expertise. That way, they get to hunt AND they provide the free solution to some neighborhood's woes.

Here's what I want to know: Do you guys think this could work? Would you pay to hunt coyotes? How much should I charge for a night of hunting?

·
Registered
7,936 Posts
It could work, but I am the wrong guy to ask would I pay or how much. I am to darn cheap to pay to hunt, and I have hunted my whole life so no need to pay a guide IMO. I am sure in urban areas there would be some that would jump at the chance and probably more once the word got out how fun it is.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I'm thinking. I've never gone on a guided hunt in my life. Then again, I grew up in a hunting family with land to hunt on. Not only that, my cousin, the caretaker of the land was a guide and ran a camp. So, if I ever wanted to know where elk were running, I'd just ask him.

That said, every Bass Pro in America is full of guys who would pay for a fun-filled night of coyote hunting.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's what I would have said when I was a resident of Colorado. Here's something to remember: Colorado and similar states have a population of 4-5 million. For how big that state is, that's not a lot. Therefore, PLENTY of public land to hunt on for free.

Florida isn't that big, most of it is under water, and it has 18-19 MILLION people. In the Orlando/Central FL area, there is only ONE public place to hunt: Bull Creek WMA. That's it.

While Bull Creek is a nice spot to hunt, it's pretty crowded and FAR from Orlando. So, unless you have access to private land, you're screwed. I could EASILY provide that access to tons of city boy hunters.

Keep everything I just said in mind when thinking about this.

·
Magister Invisibilis
1,811 Posts
The land owners will never go for it. No guarantees as to what type of folks you would be putting on their land with a gun in their hands. Too much liability.

·
Old Guys Rule
7,736 Posts
The land owners will never go for it. No guarantees as to what type of folks you would be putting on their land with a gun in their hands. Too much liability.
I totally agree.................

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Joe, people occasionally contact me and pay me to take them hunting. They always supply the land, unlike your situation, and I just try to put coyotes in front of them. Your efficiency will plummet and you will educate coyotes to the point you can't call them. Not to mention the liability is too much to deal with, even if you only allowed them to use a spear! You will regret it.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Plus, you don't have enough property and coyotes to provide very many quality hunts.

·
Magister Invisibilis
1,811 Posts
Plus, you don't have enough property and coyotes to provide very many quality hunts.
Agree'd, but think of it this way. If I paid good money for a guided coyote hunt, I don't think I'd much care for being hunkered down in some ol' lady's Gladiolas, squawking on a mouth call, while being over run by the neighborhood cats. Best to have your clients out in the boondocks where a guy might feel an element of danger. Not to mention that the ol' lady might not like having her prize rose's spattered with coyote.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
And a lot less headaches! Do you have any footage we can see?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Not of an urban hunt. But, there will be some soon. I know a reporter who wants to make a short for a film fest. Maybe I should start a campaign on kickstarter for a web show.

·
Hillary for Prison
2,677 Posts
So as you guys know, I'm in the animal control/nuisance wildlife business. I handle any and all wildlife, with the exception of gators (no money in it).

Lately, the coyote situation in Orlando has come to a head. They are so overpopulated that people are legitimately scared for their pets. ESPECIALLY in suburban settings.

Here's the problem: getting an HOA to pay for my services is like pulling teeth. To this point, I've only had one HOA actually pony up and pay me. Granted, even though I've been in this business awhile, my company is only 3 months old. So, not bad considering.

I get a lot of calls for coyotes but as soon as I quote a price, I don't hear back. The problem is: I have a business to run and coyote jobs aren't easy. Fun... but not easy.

Here's my idea to get more coyote and hog business: I would like to provide my services for free to anyone who has a coyote or hog problem on private property. Not only that, instead of doing a two-week job, I'll provide ongoing maintenance of the population.

You might be wondering: "Wait, I thought the idea was to make money?"

Here's the solution: Instead of having the customer pay, just get permission to hunt on their property. Then, take other hunters on guided coyote and hog hunts with my land connections, resources, and expertise. That way, they get to hunt AND they provide the free solution to some neighborhood's woes.

Here's what I want to know: Do you guys think this could work? Would you pay to hunt coyotes? How much should I charge for a night of hunting?
It could work, but then if an idiot shows up without concerns about the delicate requirements in a gated community or the like may require--COULD have you liable for their actions if something went wrong. A guided hunt on YOUR land is one thing but on anothers property where you are the facilitator puts you at great risk business wise and legally. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
676 Posts
A paying customer will expect results! Will the success rates be high?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts