Predator Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I'd share an old trick my father taught me when I first started learning to hunt. When he checked the wind, he would have a film canister filled with cotton, take out a small pinch and release it into the wind. I've tried the powdered brands before, and I like the cotton method better. When you let the cotton go in the wind, you can watch it travel alot further than the white powder that breaks up in the wind.

·
Super Moderator
23,443 Posts
Good trick HB That would really help in swirling wind situations.

·
Hillary for Prison
2,677 Posts
I just break wind and see which direction the birds fall out of the sky..

Reactions: bones44

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I like that milkweed idea. It probably travels farther in the wind than the cotton does. And like Bones said, its helping the wildlife and its free, wich is always good. Thanks Stonegod.

·
Die Hard Member
521 Posts
I once considered doing the same thing but with Dandelion seeds. I then reconsidered it as those weeds don't need my help spreading out across the country.

Living downwind from a neighbor that never treats their yard for weeds I am constantly battling dandelions among other weeds.

·
Die Hard Member
521 Posts
On the cattails, don't use them around lakes and such where there are no cattails currently. landowners might get mad when they find out you are the one that brought them there. They are terribly hard to get rid of from my experience.

·
Die Hard Member
521 Posts
my bro had a nice patch of cattails in one of his lakes and a family of muskrats made quick work of them!!lol
Must have been a large family of muskrats and a small patch of cattails. I hate either one of them. Muskrats destroy the shoreline and sometimes dams and cattails just take over. that is like fighting fire with gas. haha. On the other hand muskrats pelts were worth more this year.

·
Super Moderator
23,443 Posts
small world ehh SG !

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.