Predator Hunting Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone who has ever spent an afternoon calling in coyotes, foxes, or bobcats has had quite an adrenaline rush. I have felt that adrenaline many times and have long since become addicted to it. This past fall, I tagged along on a bear hunt with some friends who wanted to call their black bear in! The entire time that we sat there calling and watching all around was an insane head pounding thrill! A nice bear came in to the wounded deer emulation around dusk, but my buddy missed his shot. Anyone out there have any bear calling stories? Intentional or accidental? It's a wild time from what I've experienced, even though it was just the one time.

·
Die Hard Member
2,325 Posts
I have tried it several times. One spring I was out with a couple of buddies and we tried it. This place was at the edge of an avalanche chute and you couldn't swing a dead cat and not hit a fresh spring scat pile. I was blowing on a dieing rabbit call and there was all kinds of thrashing around, breaking brush. The woods and ground cover was dense, from that area. We never saw the bear,but we were sweating bullets.

·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, anytime I hear that thumping sound and breaking branches, the bear is a little too close for comfort!

·
Die Hard Member
2,325 Posts
I was on a drop off hunt with a buddy in the Brooks range when we saw something walking up the river bank toward us, it was a wolverine, this was with in an hour of being dropped of. I know how distructive the can be and this was the first day. My buddy was using a rifle and I was using a hand gun to hunt. He took the shot and hit it, we found fresh blood on the gravel bar and went into the alders out on to the tundra. I shot at it and it took off running, I fired another round and it put into high gear and we never saw it again, all we had was bears to deal with.

·
11 Posts
Pure Adrenaline Rush !! Especially when the Bear come up the ladder stand...Be careful, this can be dangerous !! Remember you need to get back on the ground to go home, be on your guard on your way out...

·
Super Moderator
3,707 Posts
Two years ago we had a bear under the house. Instead of cutt'in the cow dogs loose to chew on him abit--she goes out and rooted it out with a big stick. When that bear took outta there she was call'in bear--call'in that bear every name in the book. HA,HA. She did get back in the house for the camcorder and got some pictures of it running out throught the hay field. This area of Colorado is loaded with Black Bears and I do real well call'in in the fall.Heck--they walk down the streets in Colorado Springs. If Any of you guys head out this way this fall I can put you in some Oak Brush areas for some great bear call'in action

Reactions: Mattuk

·
Registered
20 Posts
What type of calls do you use? Are you allowed to use electronic calls, if so how do they work? Do you hunt on the ground or from tree stands
Thanks Fred

·
Super Moderator
23,221 Posts
Welcome to the forum vtflatlander1

·
Wildlife Manager
6,854 Posts
This area of Colorado is loaded with Black Bears and I do real well call'in in the fall.Heck--they walk down the streets in Colorado Springs. If Any of you guys head out this way this fall I can put you in some Oak Brush areas for some great bear call'in action
Where do I sign?

·
608 Posts
Welcome to PT vtflatlander1. Good to have you.

·
Super Moderator
12,161 Posts
What type of calls do you use? Are you allowed to use electronic calls, if so how do they work? Do you hunt on the ground or from tree stands
Thanks Fred
Deer or elk distress will work, they are at the top of my list and most other's I would say. On the ground.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
I use fawn in distress but as mentioned virtually any predator can show up . I've had cougars at 6 yds and 10 yds and it's difficult to get them to leave . Bears seem to have a short attention span and require a steady call as they lose interest and slow or stop their advance when the call quits . This does give you a good chance to size them up tho , if they are within sight . I never call alone and seldom from the ground anymore . Those cats and the bear shot at 10 yds still coming was too close .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts