Predator Hunting Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Calling coyotes: inside the woods vs. out in the fields?
Out in the open with a rifle 1161.11%
Inside the woods with a shotgun 422.22%
Inside the woods, but carry both weapons 316.67%
Other..please explain00.00%

·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After reading a few posts about hunting in the open with a rifle vs. hunting inside the woods with a shotgun. It got me wondering if I'm missing something. I have always hunted in a fencerow or treeline and attempted to call the coyotes into the open with a motion decoy. Perhaps I'd improve my success if I were to call inside the woodlots, instead of from the outside...and use the motion decoy.

I have both types of weapons for close or long range, but would rather not carry both. An AR with a holographic sight and a tight patterning shotgun with a short barrel.

What type of terrain are you having your best success?
Would calling success increase from inside the woods vs. out in the fields?

Your opinions and experiences are appreciated.
Thank you, Bowhunter57

·
196 Posts
Here in the south, my number 1 weapon is the shotgun because of the thick wooded areas. I like it close and personal, but I will also carry a rifle for the clearcuts. Clearcuts seem to be a little like hunting terrain out west but with a few more drastic hills with shots around 300 yrds and in most of the time.

·
13 Posts
here in western newyork i prefer shotgun in woods.i have lots of thick timber and found that scouting for good sign then setting up 20 to 50 yrds in the woods is the ticket. i sit downwind from my cottontale remote caller and some redfox urine. first i will call quitly with a mouthcall, wait 5 min. then fullblast with my remote. i have had them running in 1 min,all the way up to 1 hour.PLAY THE WIND AND WATCH YOUR SCENT!!!goodluck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts