Predator Hunting Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,439 Posts
I've been shooting the 40 grain VMAX from Hornady for no reason honestly. I'm fairly new to it all and just wanted the expanding round for quick knockdown. I've heard other guys talking about using something a little heavier so I picked up some 55's tonight from Cabelas and plan to hand load those.

How about you?

·
18 Posts
I have a Ruger chambered in a 223 rem and a Winchester chambered in a 223 WSSM. The 223 rem shoots, just about everything I run through it, very well. I use 40 and 50 grain bullets, made by Nosler and Hornady.
The 40 grain Ballistic tips are Nosler, and they are for varmints. They fragment quickly after they enter. The 40 grain Hornady are V max and they preform just like the 40 grain Noslers.
The 50 grain bullets are Nosler CT (Combined Technology). I think the CT have better bullet retention, and will gladly shoot deer with them.
I will b using 62 grain Berger Bullets on the next hand loads for my 223 WSSM . (It's very touchy though.) Berger's are premium bullets!!!! Once i use up all my Nosler and Hornady I will switch over to just Berger.
Hope this helps some. Kris Mankey

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys for your input to this tread. I have only used rem 55gr. mc fmj so far in my rem 700 sps varmint rifle. Do not like the way they group. Going to make some reloads to see if i can tighten them up. What i was looking for is a bullet that will take out a yote with one good placed shot. One shot one kill.

·
18 Posts
just the other day i shot 30 rounds of Nosler 40 grains, off a bench, and at 100 yds. 3 bullets made a solid cut line, and the 4th one was a 1/4 inch to the right. i was happy with that grouping
kris mankey

·
69 Posts
diverken159 said:
Thanks guys for your input to this tread. I have only used rem 55gr. mc fmj so far in my rem 700 sps varmint rifle. Do not like the way they group. Going to make some reloads to see if i can tighten them up. What i was looking for is a bullet that will take out a yote with one good placed shot. One shot one kill.
Stay away from the FMJ bullets. They wont expand and disperse energy when going thru an animal, nothing more than pin holes. They also have a tendency to ricochet and then who knows where they go. You also wont get them to shoot very good, so dont waste any time on them. They are by far the worst choice a person could make for a hunting bullet. Blasting ammo for an AR is one thing but a hunting bullet it is not.

·
69 Posts
Mr Mike said:
What do you think about 5.56mm/223 55 gr psp ammo I get nice groups and there $ 13.99 per 25rds?
A PSP is a Pointed Soft Point bullet (some companies call the spire points) and you will get good results from them. They will be more consistent in penetration than any plastic tipped bullet IMHO. I have been really down on vmax and ballistic tip bullets after I seen one splash on a coyote this last summer from no more than 50 yards and it was a solid hit. I still use alot of vmax bullets for my prairie dog rifles but I dont hunt coyotes with them anymore.

·
Premium Member
3,439 Posts
I've been shooting this Fiocchi .223 50gr loaded with v-max bullets lately. Only $21 / 50 at Cabela's, and I am liking them. Anyone shooting the same?

·
191 Posts
I'm using a the 62 and 55 grn SP's from Ultramax. I think I get them for $25 for a box of 50. It's remanufactured Black Hills ammo or so I've heard. I have also had good luck the the Remington 55 grn SP's but can't seem to find them anymore. I also reload for .223/5.56mm but I have a hard time finding any bullets are HP's or SP's for a good bulk price. Mid South is always out of stock and the Nolser's cost a fortune.

Chris C.

·
24 Posts
I like the 55 gr. nosler and V-max because the do alot of internal damage. Very rarely have I hit a coyote with one of these and not recovered it. I just got some 62 gr. Bergers for my AR and they are super accurate but I haven't shot anything but paper so far.

·
5 Posts
Haven't shot very much 223 but from experience with the 243win Furhunter is deffinately correct about the fmj's and soft points. I use fmj's strictly for trigger time at the range (I got a wicked good deal on a pile of 90gr sierras). The soft points do a good job on the inside without destroying the pelt on the way out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts