Predator Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
The King of Sausage!!
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering preferred choice of bullet for yotes full metal jacket for minimun pelt damage or soft point for middle of the road or the polymer tip fragmentation killing power. During winter months prefer to save pelts.

·
Premium Member
3,439 Posts
How's the FMJ thing working out for you? I figured FMJ would be a tiny hole in and out, and a dog that won't stop. I wouldn't really know though...never tried it.

I shoot .223 50gr Hornady V-max. Actually they are Fiocchi factory loads that i've been buying until I start reloading. Tiny entry hole, and no exit.

·
744 Posts
Chris Miller is correct. Small bore FMJ's are generally poor choice for coyotes. Coyotes sometimes act sort of stupid when they are hit through the ribs with a FMJ, and they run a mighty long way before they realize that they are dead.

·
Banned
68 Posts
FMJ's are a poor choice, you will loose lots of yotes. I agree with the other guys, V-max, or Nos BT'S. Have worked the best for me over the years.
They will, as with any bullet make a "bad hole", once in awhile. But all in all they are a good choice.

·
Be vewy, vewy quiet!
2,695 Posts
Personally I don't save pelts. I hunt coyotes purely to try and reduce predation on my livestock. I several small caliber varmint rifles but have killed a bunch of coyotes while deer hunting with a .308 150 gr PSP and even 1 with my 270 WSM with a Hornady 130 gr. SST. The pelt was definitely not sellable.

·
47 Posts
I shoot 50-55 grain hornady vmax. I had my first exit hole with those loads a couple weekends ago. Every yote I have shot has been a bang flop and jus the one exit. It was only about the size of a quarter so there wasnt too much pelt damage.

·
Premium Member
3,439 Posts

·
47 Posts
madarcher427 said:
does any man make a 55gr v-max in a .223? ive seen 50 gr ,but iam sited in on hornady 55gr soft point .will the fly different
Even if you get a load with 55gr. v-max it most likely will hit a little different than your soft points. You should always re sight in if you change loads that you have never shot.

·
3 Posts
berger's,don't make a mess but are the best for instant kills.second would be either hornady or seirra hollow point bt. match bullets

·
118 Posts
lyotehunter said:
berger's,don't make a mess but are the best for instant kills.second would be either hornady or seirra hollow point bt. match bullets
Thanks, I know they are the most accurate bullet I've shot so far.

·
Magister Invisibilis
1,811 Posts
FMJ???? Forget it. Illegal in most states. I use 50 gr Sierra Blitzking(.223), 50 gr Hornady V-Max (22-250), 55 gr Sierra Gameking HP (.223 WSSM) and a 40 gr Hornady V-Max (.204 Ruger). FMJ's will pass through and you'll have to shoot (unethicly) again, and again, and again. Don't even think about it. Best bullet for most is the one that shoots best in your chosen rifle. If it will chamber reliably and group at sub-moa, that'll do.

·
Die Hard Member
521 Posts
A little Side Note for the 204 ruger. If your rifle has a barrel with a 1-12 twist then you need to be careful shooting the 40 and up bullets. Technically the 1-12 twist rate shouldn't stablize the 40 grain bullet. In my rifle I can't hit a target at 25 yards with a 40 gr bullet and if I do hit the target the bullet key holes the target. Some rifles shoot them fine with 1-12 twist and others don't. I beleive that this is due to the tolerances a gun manufacturer allows their guns to be off by. this is my opinion though.

So what is the answer to this problem? By simply dropping the bullet weight by 1 gr to the sierra 39 gr bullet your gun should shoot great.

If any of you guys would like to discuss this further feel free to send me a message.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts