Predator Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
119 Posts
Oh you lucky dog you! Thats awesome! I would love to hear the story behind that big ol sucker!!! Congratulations on an outstanding trophy

·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is an interesting story. Got dropped by an airplane one day, set camp and then scouted the rest of the day. Got to see a nice bear that night but could not chase and shoot as the state of Alaska doesn't allow this. Next day seen lots of sitka deer and that evening got to see the bear from the night before. The wind was wrong so did not chase that night either. Woke up next day no sighting so went up on a ridge and glassed for hours. Seen a Sow and a cub and lots of deer. Hiked into a different drainage the next day and just about the time my back up shooter fell a sleep I spotted a huge bear. Up and running know. The bear settled down in some alders and we tried to call him out with a preditor call ( deer in distress ) but no go and then a small boar came to the call. No intent on shooting him so we were now trapped between the big guy and the little guy. I thought this was not good. If the liitle guy came into the call closer I would have to shot him. He was in the alders behind us at 30 yards. So we up and left the area for the day. Next morning we went to the area that the sow and cub were in and after about 2.5 hours of glassing out came the bear in the picture. It started to rain and the wind was blowing pretty hard and guy that was my back up had cotton on. Big Mistake in Alaska. We hiked down the mountain after the bear and set up to where I thought the bear would come to but no show. I peeked over this ridge and the bear was eating an old caribou leg. We watched and the bear vomited it back up. Must have been sour. Then reate it. I knew the bear would want to lay down and digest it. Sure enought this happened and we had to go back to the top of the mountain then back down on the bear. Now in place afew calls and out came the bear. Shots rang out the bear was down. With my back shaking like crazy I had to hurry and make some precuts and get him back to camp before hypotherma set in. Next morning I went to the bear to skin out and pack it back to camp. It took 4 more days of bad weather before the plane could get us out. Now I am ready to do it again

Tommy said:
Oh you lucky dog you! Thats awesome! I would love to hear the story behind that big ol sucker!!! Congratulations on an outstanding trophy

·
Premium Member
3,439 Posts
Great story man! Thanks a lot for sharing with us. Come back and tell us what happens this year. I hope it's as successful as the last one.

·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The caliber of the rifle was a 375 h&h. The bullet was a barnes X 300 grain. It took three shots to keep the bear down for good.
Dan

·
Premium Member
3,439 Posts
So I have to ask, since I have not been there yet: How bad does one shake when they are staring down the barrel at a 1500 lb animal that could kill them in seconds? I can't keep a deer in the crosshairs without shaking at least a little bit. I can't imagine....

·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Chris,
It really doesn't happen until you know that you have to walk up to that animal that could eat you....
Really there was no shaking at all. But then again I have shot a lot of animals, as I love to hunt.
Dan

·
13 Posts
Awesome pic and story thanks for sharing it with us.

·
38 Posts
Nice bear good luck on the next trip hopefully one of these days I can experience that thrill it is my number one bowhunt I would like to experience .

·
13 Posts
I'm sure Dan can hook you up with a sweet hunt. But my outfitter in Kodiak has a discounted Spring hunt available for this year if any of you are interested... Great deal and big bear.

Where you hunting this year Dan? I'll be filming a spring brownie hunt on Unimak this year! Excited...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Great bear and a great story too! Thanks for sharing.
Are you hunting the mainland or an island?
I'd love to hunt kodiak island for deer one day.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts