Predator Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
11 Posts
gonefishin,
around here alot of the oldtimers run coyotes with hounds, they all have cb radios in there trucks and try to head them off at crossings and shoot them in fields, alot of the landownersw around here raise cattle and want the coyotes controlled and it pretty fun ive went a few times. they use walkers,black and tans etc

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you want to do more than run raccoon or coyotes, consider a German Wirehair. They are considered a versatile gun dog. They are great bird dogs, tracking dogs, water retrievers, blood trailers. I have friend that uses his on upland game birds, ducks, geese, bears, cougars, coyotes, raccoon. I have two myself, but mostly hunt coyotes by calling. I am considering training mine to run coyotes.

·
49 Posts
mountan curs make great decoy dogs if i was going to get a dog for decoying coyotes i'd get one.
i'm a caller so running them wouldn't be for me. i like my coyote running to me not away.

·
13 Posts
I call but a buddy uses Airedale terriers as coyote dogs.

·
Banned
33 Posts
I use Curs as decoy dogs. I have a Blackmouth Cur/Catahoula cross, Mountain Cur, Mountain Cur/Jagd cross, and hopefully some Blackmouth Cur/Catahoula/Pitbull cross pups in the near future.

Tony

·
18 Posts
Tony,
I just had 2 put down 1 of r dogs. He was a Pittbull X Rhodesian Ridgeback. We would b VERY interested in a Cur X Catahoula X Pittbull pup!!!! Any picks of ur dogs that u could post on here 4 us/people 2 c? Kris Mankey

·
Banned
33 Posts
I've got a bunch of pictures. Here is one of Gunner, my Cur/Cat cross.

Dog Sky Carnivore Fawn Dog breed

Carnivore Dog Dog breed Fawn Terrestrial animal

Dog Cargo pants Vertebrate Carnivore Plant

I've got a ridgeback/cur cross female coming tomorrow that'll be a future breeder, as well as, my female pit will hopefully be bred this week.

I'll get more pics put together and up for you.

Attachments

·
The King of Sausage!!
2,337 Posts
Did some yote hunting in Okla with friends they used hounds blues reds and walkers to strike the trails and grey hounds to run the yotes down. Alot of times we would drive the roads early and spot a yote and turn the dogs out. Alot of times we could actually watch the dogs run the yotes down in the open pasture land. Them greys can flat [Excuse my language.... I have a limited vocabulary] run and they are alot meaner than you would think. Mostly we sat around fires and listen to the dogs run at night and did some pretty good drinking and shootin alot of B/S. If your referring to a decoy style dog I wouldnt know but I would think size would be a consideration because to large dog maybe to intimidating. But I really wouldnt know. The way cats disappear around my neighbor hood to the yotes I would think they would make a good decoy. P/S dont like um anyway.

·
Banned
33 Posts
I used to run coyotes with hounds and greyhounds, similar to what you are describing, for about 10 years. I still do it, with a pair of greyhound crosses that I have. But for the most part, I use dogs for decoy and recovery work now.

I spent many nights listening to hounds run coyotes and fox, when I was in my 20's. That sure was fun!

Tony

·
Banned
33 Posts
Today is a good day! My dog Gunner finally mated with my pitbull Maddy.

These should be some top notch pups, due at the end of April. Blackmouth Cur/Catahoula/Pit crosses.

Tony

·
Be vewy, vewy quiet!
2,695 Posts
Tony,
Is it just me or is Gunner grinning?

·
31 Posts
I run fox hounds for coyotes. We don't have the big numbers of yotes here. You need a dog that can take a 6 to 8 hour old track & jump the yote. We can usually find a track to run but we don't always get them jumped. Here is a few pictures of my dogs.

Echo & Razzle with coyote bayed in creek under tree.

Sticker & Razzle

Sticker going for the choke hold.

Razzle, Echo, Pretty Boy, & Sticker

·
Banned
33 Posts
They are mostly sight hunters. They will run a hot track, especially if one is leaking from a shot on recovery work. I know alot of guys that run curs with their hounds and/or run curs exclusively for hogs and raccoons. I've just never trained mine for that and focus on training for my calling style. But, I'm sure they would keep up with the hounds and join in the race. Mine run alot of jackrabbits with my greyhounds and stay right in the races.

Tony

·
Banned
68 Posts
I run have run decoy dogs for years, my first was a Heeler, and the last few years catahoula and catahoula cur crosses.Also run my Macnab Border Collie cross for a sight dog when I need pure speed.

There are lots more pics and info about my dogs in general on my website.

·
6 Posts
I am from Colo and am new to yote hunting .....I did call in a dog with a decoy and my black lab sitting near by...It was a cool experience ....Crazy that you guyz let your dogs do the killn....? I shot this coyote at 45 yds at a full runright at me and my dog.............. Sky Hunting Ecoregion Fisherman Fish

Attachments

·
136 Posts
My Pitbull is so scary that coyotes run for miles, and I seldom get a reasonable shot at them. I think I need a new pitbull. I hate to part with my best friend, but I want to shoot at some coyotes. Something in his glands makes him too frightening toward coyotes. Have any of you ever run into this type of problem? Cliffy

1 - 20 of 24 Posts