Predator Hunting Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
26 Posts
Good looking cat man. It's a shame they don't bring anything anymore.

Back when fur brought a decent price I used to run a trap line every year. Although here in SC hides never brought the prices that they brought further North it was still worthwhile money wise. A big cat from around here would usually bring $50-$75 when prices were good. 'Course cats from the North brought a lot more, and those from the High Desert Plains out West brought amazing prices. But those are special cats that have the spotted or speckled bellies.

I only kept about 60 sets out but I really enjoyed running the line. There's just something about trapping that gets in your blood. Before I'd get to each set I'd start getting excited, no matter how many times I'd done it. Always wondering and hoping, like Christmas morning for a kid. Trapping is also one of the best ways I know of to learn nature and the habits of animals intricately.

Once caught a cat it's a viscous animal. I usually anchored my cat sets to sturdy oak saplings and everytime I'd catch a cat everything within their reach would be torn to shreds. The ground torn up and all the sapling within reach would be ragged from his claws stripping the bark off and making deep cuts into the meat of the tree. Anytime you walk up to a trapped cat and it doesn't try to get at you it's simply because the cat has already used up all it's energy fighting the trap.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts