Predator Hunting Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about going to Texas next winter for a holiday and to get in a bit of hog hunting, but more importantly I would like to get a couple of big bobcats. What are the hides like on bobcats in january or February?

I know they are not going to be as good as the cats up north here, but I don't want to go all that way to kill bobcats if the hides are really sketchy and I should be staying further north. I have only hunted once in Texas for aoudad in the Ft. Davis Mtns. in January and the coyotes I saw were not very impressive in the hide department..........looked like our dogs do in summer.

Thanks.

·
24 Posts
I shot a few bobcats a couple years back in West Texas in the Fort Stockton area and the cats are really pretty the spots are amazing but the fur isn't very thick. So if you are planning on selling them I don't know what they would be worth probably not as much as the northern cats.

·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I am not planning on selling them. As you mentioned it is the spots on those southern bobcats look a lot more pronounced and I thought one would make a neat mount to go with my Canada lynx mounts. Thanks for the info, I will have to give this some thought. We have bobcats here about 30 miles from where I live and they are of course well furred -30 and -40 weather, but they are not as boldly marked.

·
Be vewy, vewy quiet!
2,695 Posts
Makwa said:
Thinking about going to Texas next winter for a holiday and to get in a bit of hog hunting, but more importantly I would like to get a couple of big bobcats. What are the hides like on bobcats in january or February?

I know they are not going to be as good as the cats up north here, but I don't want to go all that way to kill bobcats if the hides are really sketchy and I should be staying further north. I have only hunted once in Texas for aoudad in the Ft. Davis Mtns. in January and the coyotes I saw were not very impressive in the hide department..........looked like our dogs do in summer.

Thanks.
Makwa,
I took this cat in early January. I thought it looked pretty good but take a look and decide for yourself.

Attachments

·
The King of Sausage!!
2,337 Posts
January and Feb is going to be the best our furs get but remember our winters are not much different than some northern summers. This year we have had more snow in many places than we have had in a hundred years. But our temps have not even dropped below zero once mainly 30s and some teens. I live in the DFW area. Now if you were to hunt up in the pan handle the hides are probably higher quality then central to south Texas. I grew up in Ohio and a prime hide there is a whole lot different then here. Hope this helps

1 - 5 of 5 Posts