Predator Hunting Forum banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Sat the lake again ,cold ,snowy and windy ..had about 40 Canada's come in and land within 20-30 yds . They didn't make me so I kept still and right at the end of legal light 75 whites dropped in at 60 yds ..just too far .

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
There was some discrepancy about whether or not the archery club would allow my coot as being a duck so to clear up that issue I set out to get something else . Most of the ponds and canals are frozen up but there is a small patch of open water where the cows drink on the creek that became home to a few ducks ...a couple mallards ,which I didn't need because I had one and this little guy . A few days I rried to get a shot at him but unsuccessful. Yesterday I used a cow as cover as she came back from the water and was able to get a successful shot off at 25 yds ..goldeneye is the species so ducks are clear and done .

The magpies were working over a gutpule from my nephews deer by the quinset so I set up inside and shot thru the crack between the doors ...2 done and will work on them again this week .

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
I thought it was illegal to shoot magpies. least it is here.

Legal Status

Magpies are protected as migratory non-game birds under the Federal Migratory Bird Treaty Act. Under the Federal Codes of Regulation (CFR 50, 21.43) it is stated, however, that "a Federal permit shall not be required to control . . . magpies, when found committing or about to commit depredations upon ornamental or shade trees, agricultural crops, livestock, or wildlife, or when concentrated in such numbers as to constitute a health hazard or other nuisance. . . ." Most state or local regulations are similar, but consult authorities before taking any magpies.

·
Super Moderator
11,730 Posts

Legal Status

Magpies are protected as migratory non-game birds under the Federal Migratory Bird Treaty Act. Under the Federal Codes of Regulation (CFR 50, 21.43) it is stated, however, that "a Federal permit shall not be required to control . . . magpies, when found committing or about to commit depredations upon ornamental or shade trees, agricultural crops, livestock, or wildlife, or when concentrated in such numbers as to constitute a health hazard or other nuisance. . . ." Most state or local regulations are similar, but consult authorities before taking any magpies.
Open season on them here, along with crows, ravens, etc..

·
Super Moderator
22,824 Posts
Congratulations sir. You are certainly a master bow hunter

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·

Legal Status

No protection here bud ...along with crows ,starlings blackbirds and ravens on private land .

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
No specks today ,but 4 of us limited on Canada's in 15 mins ..32 birds, and could have each shot 50 easy ..birds kept coming and landed in decoys at 15 yds as we.were cleaning up . The birds refused to leave and landed within 400 so we.may shoot again in a couple days .

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
No protection here bud ...along with crows ,starlings blackbirds and ravens on private land .

you're lucky . I have often wanted to shoot one when calling but have so far restrained myself and obeyed the law. my older brother had one as a pet when I was a lil kid. it could speak a couple words. they were not nice words. lol.

·
Super Moderator
22,824 Posts
That’ll make some nice dinners. Congrats!

Reactions: C2C and hassell
41 - 59 of 59 Posts