Predator Hunting Forum banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
4 left ,sharptail season opens Saturday so will go after one if I'm not elk hunting ...how you been Pokey ?

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
Been good working way too many hours still short staffed put a few apps in at some tree removal company’s with no luck I’m too old they want 20 year old dummies that will work for next to nothing I guess
I’ve finally talked to my regional v.p. And my boss and told them they have until November 1st to get something figured out as after that date I will not be working overtime anymore

good luck on the last 4 birds cam

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
So my last grouse on the list is turning into a quest...seems they could be my nemesis .I've had 3 shots so far ...over ,under and thru and still nothing to show ...I placed a blind on a fence row where they come out of tall native prairie pasture into a harvested pea field.

Usually sharptails aren't that smart and they are easy pickings, well at least with a shotty .The bow is turning into a different story ,these wary little guys won't sit still long enough for a shot .The thru shot was the biggest disappointment, broadhead passed clean thru at 20 yds and then he was airborne, sailing back over that 2 ft tall prairie grass never to be seen again. Not sure how far he went as the blind obscured my vision on his exit . I went out and gridded as best as I could for abiut 400 yds just as dark was falling to no avail . A friend took his lab the next day to look but no luck either ,I'm sure some needy coyote enjoyed a free supper. I have 3 weeks left in the season and have obtained permission on a few more properties to hunt so all is not lost ..yet..tonite I sit the blind again in the wind.

Update ...wind came up and I almost went home but decided to stick out the rest of the evening..wind died down a half hr before dark and I could hear the chickens talking in the grass behind me ..one made a mistake and stepped out in the open at 15 yds ...judo point made short work of him ...I was so excited that I can't remember opening the door to the blind, think I went thru the wall to get him ..lol..3 birds left

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I made a 2 day trip to Enchant ,AB. to hunt geese with friends and came away with my Snow goose ..After 13 shoots on the fly in 2 days I finally let one land and ran him thru.. we had a successful shotty outing with 81 snows, 2 Ross and 14 ducks .

Afternoon of second day I spent in a willow blind next to a large slough that held white geese and a bunch of ducks . I was hoping for a go at one of the ducks but none came within range. Half way thru my sit ,the geese became restless and start flying and circling the lake then would set down again .On one of their circles they came somewhat overhead and I launched an arrow skyward at one and missed by abiut a ft behind him. I watched as the arrow sailed up and lost sight of it when it peaked and started down .. imagine my surprise when a goose on the farside of the flock folded up and hit the water from abiut 150 ft up!! The arrow had somehow hit the goose sending him down to the lake . He lay there for a couple minutes and I thought he was dead but it had only broke his wing ..I had no way to recover him and I wish now that it missed him totally.. as luck would have it he is a Ross,the last goose that I need ...I took a kayak back to rry and get him but the hi wind wouldn't allow me on the water...I'd like to have tried but a goose with a broken wing that would likely outswim he isn't worth drowning for .. . So now I'm down to a duck and a Ross or Speckle belly ..I shot a coot this morning and the club is talking abiut allowing it to be entered as a duck ..it was considered that way in the past but some how got changed....

So as the waterfowl part of the year is winding down I am so close to being done but not quite there..I've had a Crack at a Speck and missed low at 30 yds so I guess I had my chance. Yesterday the guys had another field shoot on the whites and said I missed my chance at a Ross that landed in the decoys and fed for 10 minutes until they let him go and he flew away ...next year ,next year ....unless lightning strikes and I find Speck some how..

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Good to see your still stacking the birds up congrats on your success
Thanx John , I have had a blast doing it ..major storm com8ng tonite and the ducks and geese are here in force ahead of it ..expecting 5 inches of snow a sub zero C temps ...winter is on its way ..

·
Super Moderator
22,824 Posts
Thanks for letting us share your adventures Cam. I have every confidence in you to finish the list.
congrats!!

Reactions: C2C and hassell

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Thanx guys ...I spent an hr and a half just before dark waiting for geese and ducks to come back to a pond to roost...dressed in snow camo I had Canada's come within 20 yds and I drew twice on them but didn't shoot ,I have one already and saw no need to kill one just to kill it. My area is not commonly Speck and Ross travel zone but never know ..maybe next time .

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
One more down .. I shot this coot and it counts as.my last duck ..There was some discussion on the clubs awards committee over it as some say it isn't a true duck,but in fact a member of the rail family. However ,it came to light that coots had been entered in the past by others and counted as ducks so precedent had been set . I didn't care one way or the other and would have been happy to enter it as a small game entry and continue looking for another species of duck ,but if they are giving it to me I will take it .

The quest is on now for one more species of goose ,either a Ross or Speck, it doesn't matter . Both are very hard to find in my area and even harder to get but with a stormy week ahead maybe I will get lucky. The secretary of the club is amazed that anyone has gotten this close and said " I wonder what the founding members would think,I'm sure none of them thought that anyone would actually get this close " ..I will try and post the requirements ,in the meantime prayers will gladly be accepted toward me finding a " special goose "

·
Super Moderator
22,824 Posts
I’ll second Ricks post. That’s amazing. That being said I have no doubt you’ll fulfill your quest. We’ll keep you in our thoughts and prayers my friend.

Reactions: C2C

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I’ll second Ricks post. That’s amazing. That being said I have no doubt you’ll fulfill your quest. We’ll keep you in our thoughts and prayers my friend.
Thanx Don, I'm amazed as well ,hard to believe it is close .thanx for the support ,I will give it my all .

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Thanx Rick ,.Pinnacle wasnt even a dream when I started way back in 85 , buckle came in 2010 when I got my Canada goose and I was thrilled with that ....kinda fitting that my last required entry would also be a goose ,Ross or Speck it doesn't matter to me ,just hoping to get one in range .

21 - 40 of 59 Posts