Predator Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering mounting a bipod on my rifle but can't decide if carrying a pair of shooting sticks would be better. I've considered the pros and cons of each but I may have missed something. If someone has some insight/opinion it would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,439 Posts
Personally I think shooting sticks will adapt to different terrain better, and they do offer a little bit more side to side movement without having to pick them up. With that being said, they bug the crap out of me so I mounted a 12-25" swivel harris bipod on my AR. Still trying to decide which I like best but I think they are both worth owning. Then you can adjust depending on how you're hunting.

·
Premium Member
3,439 Posts
coyotekidd said:
I looked at the harris w/swivel. Let me know how it works out for you.
I will for sure. I will tell you that the 13.5 - 27 did not work out for me. Too tall for prone, and too tall at max height for sitting and I really don't like the fine tuning on these things. I sent that back for the 12-25" and it's MUCH better. Quick setup in both prone and sitting (I am 5'10"). No field test with this new one yet, but I think it will work well.

Springs are noisy as heck though. I am looking at making the whole setup a bit more quiet.

I'll keep you posted.

·
13 Posts
I've tried the mono and bipod,not sold on either one. Mainly because doesn't match all shooting positions, heights. The mono was too short, as was the bipod.Is anything available to match all our shooting needs? I'm considering a bog-pod monopod,adjusts from 22-68", weighs just 12 oz., advertised in Cabelas shooting magazine.

·
9 Posts
Bipods are good if u are going to lay on your belly. but shoting sticks i think are better. they can adjust to different heights. no added weight to your rifle, which is a good thing. around here some guys hood shoot, which takes away from the sport. we get alot of snow around here, so sticks is the way to go.

·
93 Posts
Sticks hands down for me, had the pods for years and finally got tired of the weight and the in use ability of them all the time.
Sticks are much lighter and versitile for me and adjust to different terrain much quicker.

·
23 Posts
I agree with GritGuy sticks seem to work better for me faster to utilize and easier to get in position to shoot.

I have a Harris bi-pod but I only use it to take pics of the gun! Works great for that!LOL!

~HF~

·
The King of Sausage!!
2,337 Posts
I make my own sticks from old tent poles or you can pickup tent pole kits for a little bit of nothing. I cut them down and make the sticks to fit my needs. Some sticks piece, a of rubber and alittle flat paint. Leaves more money for ammo and other things.

·
18 Posts
I had knee surgery at the end of Sept, and Pa Bear season is in Nov. I enjoy Bear hunting more than anything so i didn't want to miss it. I was worried about how well I would be able to get around and climb the mountain sides. I decided I needed 2 use a walking stick and figured I would make a walking stick/shooting sticks.
I took a piece of oak scrap from my saw mill, some vet wrap (used on horse or cattle's legs) from my vet box, a #10 bolt with a nylon lock nut (from my brother's garage), two 3" deck screws, one ponytail holder (my wife's), and i bought a roll of camo tape.
One half of the shooting stick I left longer so I could use it as a walkin stick. I used the vet wrap to make a soft handle and a nice soft rest for my gun. I drilled a hole in each stick then ran the deck screws up in them. after that I cut the heads of the screws so that the metal tips will dig into the ice or mud. I slide the ponytail holder down towards the bottom of the shooting stick when i walk so they stay closed up and don't "smack" together.
They r cheap, easy, and saved my knee!!!! Kris Mankey

Attachments

·
13 Posts
I have a pair of cabela's brand bipods and they are great for me and my style of hunting.

·
Premium Member
3,439 Posts
Kris,

Great idea! Hiking stick and shooting stick all in one. I like it! My predator snyper styx don't do much for holding up my 240lb frame. Works great for my gun, just not for me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you hunt in snow, shooting sticks work great, they stand on their own. I use a Cabelas Turkey Lounger Chair (very comfortable) and my Stoney Point sticks. Stab them in the snow, rest the rifle on shoulder and start calling.

·
1 Posts
check out the ones available by primos,(the trigger sticks,monpods and bipods) have a short version and a tall version.
I'm sure different taste for different terain.East vs West, Have use the harris bipod,not likeing the adjustment each time for terain here in the northeast.With the trigger stick it's just a squeeze of the trigger and it raises and lowers to your needs.Also has a rubber strap to hold your rifle in position,so you don't need to hold the trigger stick at all times.

·
1,178 Posts
I like my bipod for the reason that I can fold up the legs and when Im not using it its pretty much out of the way. Then If I need my bipod it takes only seconds to pull the legs down. I used to carry shooting sticks but to many times I had deer jump up when I was walking with me shooting sticks in my hand and my rifle on my back. I can see however them being good if you like a walking stick I just prefer the Bipod.

·
196 Posts
We have decided on the sticks. For tight and up close hunting like we do, sticks seem to work better. Sticks hold our guns at ready and if the dawg/cat shows left or right of the direction that the gun is pointed, you can just swing the gun and the stick stays out of the way. 50yrds and less, with a shotgun, you dont have to be near as exact as with a rifle. We use our turkey vest that have a built in seat and i have a device attached to the shoulder strap of the vest that holds the but of the gun up. You move maybe an inch to the shoulder and you are ready to fire.

·
14 Posts
Well, this is an eyeopener! I was about to buy a bipod, but now I think I'll buy or make a set of sticks to start out. Thanks for all the comments!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts