Predator Hunting Forum banner

Beaver job

1089 Views 53 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  MidMoTrapper
Hey guys! It's been awhile since I have been on here. I just got called today to do some nuisance trapping of beavers. It's on a small lake but they have raised the water level alot.. other people have tried to trap or shoot them with not much luck. Do you guys have any tips. I told the owner I wouldn't take any money until we see results. I will attach some pictures of the lodge ( there supposed to be another under water by the dock. They keep plugging the overflow pipe
Water Plant Sky Natural landscape Lake
Water Sky Cloud Liquid Natural landscape
See less See more
21 - 40 of 54 Posts
I made a set like that last night I anchored them separate from the middle stick one of the snares kept wanting to sitting sideways like the bottom wanted to float up. I guess we will see. Do you ever put anything on the bait stick like poplar oil? Hopefully he understands that now that you have explained it to him. How many did you get out of there?
Water Sky Cloud Twig Fluid

Picture is pretty rough but the best I could do at the time
See less See more
Reactions: 1
I anchored the snares away from the main stick. But one of my snares kept wanting to sit tilted like it was trying to float. Do you ever put anything on the bait stick such as poplars oil?

Hopefully now he understands that after you told him lol. How many beavers did you take out of there?
That looks good to me ..I use the poplar stick and some lure on it as well at my castor mounds... I got 2 so far this year , 204 since I started in 1998.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
204 is pretty good! I'm feeling Lot better about these sets I made . I found 2 additional entrances to the lodge and I got some 330 stabilizers and pit them at the bottom of the runs. It was very sunny today so it made seeing what I had missed alot easier. There might be a 4th entrance but I will have to check tomorrow. I also got one of the bridger safeties for the 330s and that sure makes messing with them underwater alot less sketchy lol
I do pretty good at cleaning beaver out of this golf course in the winter and spring ,then the irrigation water gets turned into canals about first of May and a fresh flush of flattails comes down in it from the mountains and restock the golf course ...never ending supply but they pay me well to remove em so I'm kept busy ...good luck

Keep at it and you’ll connect soon
Sets.look good to me 🦫

Gonna try something a little different. Their is at least one more beaver in there. I seen him at the pipe but I left my gun in the truck. There isn't much water flowing threw the pipe now because we are in a bit of a drought. I did catch a bog snapping turtle today and he was still alive, his shell was about as big as my 330. But hey I've dropped the lake about 3 feet lol
Reactions: 3
Sounds like you definitely have his attention ...remember the 4 beaver I shot about 2 weeks ago and never recovered ? Well 2 have a since come to the surface and boy would they be prime bear bait ...look like the Hinderburg with legs and tail !
Water Plant Grass Terrestrial animal Twig

See less See more
Man you ain't kidding! He swolled up big time lol. So are you done with that job at the golf course? I wish I knew what hole this guy was living in. Every once in awhile he will fix the lodge but I thought I had all holes covered I don't have enough connibears to cover all the old dens
Beaver that were left in the golf course seem to have moved about a mile and a half north into the town limits
They have taken up residence in the creek and built a small dam in the middle of a nature preserve and near a fitness walking trail with lots of traffic .I have permission to trap there from the town but too many pets and people for me to want to go in there .I've trapped the area before in the winter time and had a small run in with a pair of old ladies that didn't like the sight of me pulling 2 big beaver out of there on my sled . I don't care to do that again...Beaver will be back and I'll get em .

Reactions: 1
I don't blame you for not wanting to go back. I try and limit they amount of potential let's and people I might encounter. I did catch an otter today out of the lake/pond. They didn't want me targeting them but understand that sometimes shit happens lol
Plant Terrestrial animal Fawn Grass Groundcover
See less See more
Reactions: 2
Yes it does happen,lol, the only one I ever caught I got a permit for as an accidental catch and was allowed to keep it ...after obtaining the permit my kids posted pics on FB and a different warden contacted the local one that had issued it and wanted me charged for catching it ...he was straightened out by the local guy and I kept it ...gotta play by the rules cause someone is Lways watching . I was contacted by an acreage owner Saturday about getting rid of muskrats in his pond ,him thinking that i could just plain come and shoot them .. they laughed when I told them they had to get a damage permit cause skrats are a furbearer ..gave them the fish cops number to call and sure enough we need a permit ..now in the works ..lol.

Keep at em you will catch em ,should be signs of fresh cutting by now ..I've never used those H stands for 330s ,do you like them ?
Wood Felidae Small to medium-sized cats Whiskers Art

See less See more
Said I was done at the golf course ? These 2 little beauties finally floated to the top...lol. ripe ready to eat bear bait .They were shot about 3 weeks ago .
Plant Wood Grass Terrestrial plant Pollution

See less See more
Man those are ripe! I don't know much about baiting bears but I'd say that'll do it! I thought I would see fresh sign of chewed trees but haven't yet. I did set some snare sticks with castor on them. And tried dismantling the lodge but they are strong builders lol. I think I missed an entrance into the lodge that would make 4. I've had other calls to get rid of beavers but my confidence is kind of low lol, maybe it's just a hard pond to trap. I put two snares on the dock with a stick with castor sticking un ip the air. How does it look?
Water Water resources Nature Leaf Wood
See less See more
Oh and those h stands are pretty handy! Really let's you set them solid. I still use a little bit of guiding but I would recommend them. They aren't cheap though!
Sets look good to me ...

21 - 40 of 54 Posts