Predator Hunting Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just started hunting with a trad bow. I have a danarco 52 lbs. bow that I use and will soon have a Wing recurve from the late 60's to play with also. I've a mix of arrows, with alum. and a few carbons with 2 blade cut on contact heads. Sept. is such a long time coming this year, but will do alot of stump shooting in the mean time. What do you guys and gals use?

·
Die Hard Member
2,325 Posts
I haven't had it out for several years but, I use a Bear Kodiak take down with a 60# draw. I make/buy wooden shafts and finish them plus glue on the end stuff. I use zwickey two blade and some others. I have only gotten a rabbit and one turkey with a bow. I hunted caribou north of the Brooks range along the haul road and couldn't get close enough to make a shot the first time and the second trip I thought I was too far and didn't take the shot and my buddy said I was in range, the open ground changes what the distance looks like. My name is for flint knapping.

·
18 Posts
McPherson compound. I have had it for 15 years. Before that I had a recurve. I am tempted to go back to a recurve............the simplicity is drawing me back. Must be old guy syndrome. I have killed blacktail, mulies, moose, black bear, elk and a few others with a bow.

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I find the recurve to be the one to slow the whole hunting thing down, sit wait, enjoy the out doors and get as close to your prey as possible. I've shot deer at 300 plus yards and they drop, to me that is no thrill any more, might as well play a video game, just to get that close and I know that I have beat them in there own habitat is a thrill that memories are made of!! Even if I don't get somthing I have been suucessful in doing what I enjoy.

·
18 Posts
Well I am no died in the wool bow hunter. I bow hunt for the other seasons and I am still a rifle nut and always will be. Did some blackpowder for about 15 years as well in season, but I just could care less about it, so sold them all and will just do archery during muzzleloader season. Perhaps even get my wife a crossbow for muzzleloader season as she has carpel tunnel and drawing a bow bugs her these days.

You are right, just killing a deer wore off many deer and years ago because it is not exactly a big trick. I only hunt for big old bucks. If I don't get a deer I really don't care. The archery season gives me many more weeks in the field and it also allows me to hunt elk early during the rut here at home.

·
38 Posts
I have played around with them a little I had a wing 50# recurve. It was something I got pretty decent out to twenty yards but I missed the only two deer I ever shot at with it and one was a dandy I acutally almost gut shot him it clipped hair off him. I will try it again someday I have shot some long bows and actually like them better than a recurve but thats just me. But to all who hunt with them and take game my hats off to you becasue its not easy . I once followed a couple older guys around one day in a 3-d shoot and the were shoot recurves and the were as good with them as I have witnessed . He said it was what they grew up with and all they ever shot.

·
135 Posts
I have a Ben Pearson recurve. I shoot carbon arrows with real fearhers and a cut on contact broad head. Light, quiet and deadly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts