Predator Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shot a coyote this morning with my shotgun he was only 35 yrds out and definitely was hit pretty good, But couldn't find him or any blood. Does anyone know if they are more likely to head for thick cover or just run it out or what? Ive only had to track a couple so I don't know what they're likely to do

·
Super Moderator
22,824 Posts
I've had them curl up under a bush, within 20 yds of where i shot them. They won't run at that point from my experience, I've also had one memorable coyote run about a half mile bleeding bad with a hunk of fur hanging off his side the size of a dish towel. He eventually hunkered down under a bush and waited for me. If they were gonna run they'd do it right off and may run a ways, or they may not. It just depends on how hard he was hit, which may be deceiving also.

·
Magister Invisibilis
1,779 Posts
What he said ^. Trick is to not give up. Keep at it. Sometimes animals don't bleed right away. Start circling outward from the last known location. You may find his blood trail starting farther out or his carcass. Guessing how far a wounded coyote may run or wobble is unknown. I've seen them hole up within 50 yards. Then again, I hold the record for trailing a shot up coyote at just over 17 miles. Crazy, I know, but I had a good blood trail and he must have had an extra liter or two. Just know this, they're tough and tenacious and some just don't give up.

Just kidding, it was only a mile.

·
Super Moderator
22,824 Posts
Remember when you take your dog out there that there are other things that eat dead coyotes that will also eat your dog. They kill for a living.

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
For me they all head for cover. Some take longer to get here than others but they all go there. Normally I end up finding them under a blowdown, in thick brush, or both. We have lots of woodland and thickets here so cover is usually only a leap skip and jump away.

Recently Some local fellas actually found theirs buried in a hollowed log. They cut a hole with an axe to retrieve. They took photos. I will try to link a thread.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
every coyote I have ever had to track(which ain't many I'm proud to say :smile: ) have always ran pretty much in a straight line to get away untill they could run no more. furthest I ever had to track one was about half a mile.I was driving around spotlighting , shot him , he did the doggy spin and took off. their was a skiff of snow on ground so I was able to just drive beside his tracks untill I found him dead.it was amazing how far he ran with the amount of blood he were leekin.

·
Super Moderator
22,824 Posts
Go to where you last saw him and walk in a circle around that spot. Then a larger circle….. just keep increasing the circle until you spot blood.

Reactions: pokeyjeeper

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
What he said ^. Trick is to not give up. Keep at it. Sometimes animals don't bleed right away. Start circling outward from the last known location. You may find his blood trail starting farther out or his carcass. Guessing how far a wounded coyote may run or wobble is unknown. I've seen them hole up within 50 yards. Then again, I hold the record for trailing a shot up coyote at just over 17 miles. Crazy, I know, but I had a good blood trail and he must have had an extra liter or two. Just know this, they're tough and tenacious and some just don't give up.

Just kidding, it was only a mile.
was gonna say," 17 miles ! you da man!"

1 - 20 of 20 Posts