Predator Hunting Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
12 Posts
I picked up a older Winchster feather light in great shape with factory 140grs it shoots 1/2inch 5 shoot groups maybe the most accurate rifle i have shoot. I ordered dies for it going to play with some diff loads .Thinking it may become my new lion rifle.

·
Die Hard Member
2,325 Posts
I have used the Mauser 94 until I lost it on a sheep hunt. I got a Mauser 96 many years ago and shot it some but, with the 29.5 inch barrel and putting a scope on it hard I went to the 260 Rem. in a Rem. 700 Varmint and had the orignial barrel to a Ruger #3 bored out to 6.5 and put in 260 Rem. I have been playing with a 6.5x284 win./norma in a long action Rem. 700 with a 28 inch barrel. I love the Swede but that 6.5x284 is a real shooter at long range and I do mean long range.

·
36 Posts
An uncle of mine has a 6.5x55. I used it three years for deer hunting and got two buck and a doe. I love that gun and ask him to sell it to me every time i see him. He hasnt shot anything but paper with it but He's a gun guru and wont sell it. I guess i dont blame him great caliber rifle very accurate.

·
25 Posts
I picked up a 6.5 X 55 on a 94 action that was sporterized with a kimber barrel and synthetic stock. I have worked up a load with Sierra 140 GR bullistic tips. It is reliably/accurate for antilope out to 300 yards. I never thought of dog hunting with it because I have my Ruger MKII in .223. Hope that helps. Mike

·
118 Posts
I have a 96 that was redone by Kimber. It shoots realy great The only problem that I have is the scope and safety situation. That can be fixed with higher scope mounts. I recently found a Man who makes a three position safety but they are quite exspenitive.
Cur Dog

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I sold all of my 96's and 38's after I started playing will my Savages in 6.5x55 have a hunter built on a Stevens center feed action with a 23" lite varmit Shillen barrel. And just finished a 30" Brux barrel on a T&Ted Savage action with 2oz trigger have not even got a chance to put a round through it yet. Hopfully this weekend I can put a few down range.
Bob

·
118 Posts
I will probly sell my 96 when I get my new one. I am haveing one built on a Win. 70 action with a Douglas barrel.

·
118 Posts
Well i got my 6.5X55 out of the shop in July. At that time of the year it is to hot to shoot in Southeast texas. It is a Win Model 70 with a Douglas barrel,26"and for the hell of it I had a muzzle break put on it. Which let me see the Vapor Trail all the way to the target. I bought a set of Lee preimunum dies with a neck sizer and a factory crimp die.
I am using Ramshot Hunter with win large rifle primers and barns tsx and ttsx in 120 gr.. I broke the barrel in as Douglass suggested, and this baby is really performing much better than I can shoot. Staying in the 1" to 1/2" groups. Deer gun season opens here on Nov. 6th. Iam ready to try it own a white tail.

·
Super Moderator
23,221 Posts
Sounds as though you have a real shooter on your hands Cur Dog. How do you like the Hunter powder? I like their Tac because it burns so clean. Good luck on the deer hunt keep us in the loop on your hunt.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Let us know how it performs with penetration and such. I love the long 6.5s because of their high sectional density and BC rating. Had a barrel for a while on my Encore but opted for the higher powered 280 Improved. That 6.5 barrel was sub MOA even with FMJ ammo. Hornady V-Max was even better on the 140 grains.

·
Die Hard Member
2,325 Posts
I have one, been using 260 Rem. with IMR or H 4831 and they shoot well. I say they because I have a 700 V, Converted #3 Ruger (pic. in firearms) as well as a 6.5-284. Then there are the two 6.5 TCU barrels for contender. The swede liked IMR 4895 or IMR4320.

·
118 Posts
Nov 6 proved to be a good day for bullet testing. In my 6.5X55 using 120 gr. Barns TTSX I shot a fox and just as I suspected it was not fur friendly. The exit hole was about the size of a Quarter. The doe I shot proved once again that when you shoot them between the eyes they don't walk off.
To answer Youngdon on the ram shot Hunter it is a real clean burning powder and gives me good accuarcy. I also use Hunter in my 30-06 and it does very well with consistant accuracy.
I also shot 140 gr. Berger VLD's in my 6.5X55 with N160 and they shoot to the same point of impact as the 120Barns at 100 yrds.. I really like my 6.5 and going to try and find a better varmint bullet for it.

·
1 Posts
Too bad it has taken us Americans this long to realize that the 6.5 bullet is superior to the ones that have been so popular here for decades. Love the 6.5 Swede. If you reload, you can get the performance of a .270 with better penetration and the kick of a .243. Inherently accurate and with the 130 gr. Bergers, one heck of a Dog cartridge.

·
Super Moderator
23,221 Posts
Welcome to the forum Dogduster.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts