Predator Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Die Hard Member
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen several of you make comments how about contacting me and share tips on how to hunt up here?

·
Die Hard Member
1,587 Posts
Knapper, I would love to just go to AK must less hunt up there! I have seen thousands of pictures but can only imagine the Awesome Beauty You must see every Day! It is a LONG Way from SW MS to there I Do Hope to Go One Day Though!

·
Die Hard Member
521 Posts
yeah AK is on the top of my list for places to see before I die. Hopefully I will make it. I am 28 and have plenty of years left.

·
Hillary for Prison
2,677 Posts
Helmet_S said:
yeah AK is on the top of my list for places to see before I die. Hopefully I will make it. I am 28 and have plenty of years left.
Dont wind up eating those words, save now a ten here a twenty there and go while you can still outrun your guide/buddy if a bear gets after you both--leaving you to survive and tell the tale! I always talked about it as well, and Im not young anymore--but in 2 years or less Im going-God willing.

·
Die Hard Member
5,393 Posts
Here is my assesment....before going to Alaska I thought...boy some day I would really like to try that.

After going there the first time and more so after the second time...you find yourself saying, how soon can I get back.

I have to say both times were a gift from God.

Yes I am looking forward to the next time.

·
Wildlife Manager
6,854 Posts
I'd love to get there with just a camera let alone the rifle!

·
Die Hard Member
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We are the biggest town/city in the state, Anchorage. I live in Eagle River it is still part of Anchorage. Some of the things that happen here is that moose wonder the area, all over the place. Where I work is fenced of security and safty reasons but the moose know that if they come up to the gate we will let them in and once inside they are safe from dogs and people bothering them. People do not try to bother them sometimes they just do. After some time inside they walk up to the gate and we let them out. I have done it myself many times and when people are told that we do it they are shocked that we do that. We have a fox that comes around on it normal routs and has a tail that is almost as long and big around as his body. The moose will look in the windows at us and it makes things us sort of stawards of the animals, we are a bunch of guys who hunt and like to give back in a way.

·
Die Hard Member
1,587 Posts
Ok Oac sounds like a Plan when we going?? I prefer to go with someone that has Gone Before!

·
Die Hard Member
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I to admit that living here that I don't travel outside the state much if at all outside the state in the summer time unless I have to. Too much fishing and hunting to be done and planned for. This year is an example, I only have plans to this fall for caribou and black bear for this fall and winter. I will work on my calling skills for the predators and such. Caribou may be in the fall or winter hunts depending on finding someone to go with me. My wife does not like me going alone. I can walk in from the road and call but other wise I don't go alone. This is one of the things that she puts her foot down about. With the boat I need three people to go due to handling getting it in and out of the slip. When it is with snowmobiles I need one other person. For some reason she thinks I ride too hard. Isn't life tough?

·
Wildlife Manager
6,854 Posts
Yep it sounds like it knapper!

·
Hillary for Prison
2,677 Posts
next year Im going, using my vacation money for the trip wife has gave blessings. So Knapper, my friend lives in wasilla, maybe when I come up we can all 3 go predator hunting, big game is fine but fishing and yotes are my priorities. Maybe a black bear but thats about it BG wise. Will be for 2 weeks of course! havent chiseled out any dates yet--have 2 coordinate with my friend and schedule around his 2 weeks off from BP--my time is whenever I get ready!

·
Die Hard Member
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I got a black bear a week or so ago and the pictures I took are on the camera that I lost on the hunt. The camera is in one of about four different places and all but one, the boat are far enough away that I will not spent the cost of fuel to go and look for it. The trip took about 5 hours to get there one way and when you add up the cost of fuel alone I can buy a new camera for less. All of the pictures on the chip that was in the camera are on the computer,except the one's of the bear.

·
Wildlife Manager
6,854 Posts
knapper said:
I got a black bear a week or so ago and the pictures I took are on the camera that I lost on the hunt. The camera is in one of about four different places and all but one, the boat are far enough away that I will not spent the cost of fuel to go and look for it. The trip took about 5 hours to get there one way and when you add up the cost of fuel alone I can buy a new camera for less. All of the pictures on the chip that was in the camera are on the computer,except the one's of the bear.
Sorry to hear that knapper, thats real bad luck!

·
Die Hard Member
521 Posts
Ok so I have decided that going to Alaska would be awesome and it would be great if some of you guys went too. Here is how I am going to decide who may go.

Please go out and run a full mile while someone times you (video verification is required). Then post your times here.

I am thinking that anyone with times 5 or so people slower than myself are welcome to come along. I figure that the slowest people would probably not be able to keep up just in normal hunting and the faster people will out run myself and the bear so they are out also.

What do you guys think?

·
Hillary for Prison
2,677 Posts
knapper said:
We don't worry about that, that is what a hand gun is for, you only have to slow them down.
Mmm..now thats some devious thinking! Shoot your friend in the foot so you can stay ahead--spoken like a true survivalist!
JK! I know what you meant

·
Die Hard Member
521 Posts
knapper said:
We don't worry about that, that is what a hand gun is for, you only have to slow them down.
I agree with Antlerz. Anyone may now join in now. hahaha. I can just see it now. The bear would be so confused becuase there is 10 idiots running zipzag through the woods with guns pointing at each other.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.