Predator Hunting Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would have just posted this on my trapline thread but it was pretty special so thought I would share it here..
Checked snares today and had a coyote break off the small tree it as anchored too. I took up the easy to follow trail on the river ice and followed it about 2 miles as the crow flies ,much farther on the winding river before giving up and going back to finish my check.

I had Deb take.me back in the truck to pick up the trail where I left off and this time I carried my 22 250 instead of the 17hmr..I gave Deb the walkie talkie and sent her back around to wait for me at the next road ..the ,wind had cleared away some tracks but I was still able to follow him ...as luck would have it I followed the tracks and spooked the dog back onto the ice about 500 yds from where she dropped me off and I dropped him ..poor thing was exhausted and I was glad to have caught up with him ..too many hills for the radio so I pulled him on the sled another mile and a half to the road ..will sleep.well tonite .

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are an animal!!!
Well I figure our quarry deserves respect and as long as there is still a chance to recover him Ill go after him ..glad I checked today ,the wind has come up bad and tomorrow all tracks would have been gone ..at todays prices Ive decided to tan and keep it ,it has a story to tell .

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
It’s amazing how strong the will to live is in a coyote congrats and finding him and ending a long slow death a lot of people would have gave up after the first 1/2 mile

·
Registered
343 Posts
Well I figure our quarry deserves respect and as long as there is still a chance to recover him Ill go after him ..glad I checked today ,the wind has come up bad and tomorrow all tracks would have been gone ..at todays prices Ive decided to tan and keep it ,it has a story to tell .

I had a big boar raccoon pull the stake out on a cooncuff dogproof trap once. I underestimated the strength of them I guess because the stake was a piece of sucker rod about 3 feet long and it pulled it out. A friend of mine was with me and he “it’s just a raccoon and a $12 trap”. I told him I had to try and find both. I could see the drag line and knew it couldn’t climb a tree one handed with the extra weight. Followed it to a big oak along the creek bank that had its root ball washed out. It was up under the tree in the roots. Would’ve been a miserable way to die dragging that trap and chain.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had a big boar raccoon pull the stake out on a cooncuff dogproof trap once. I underestimated the strength of them I guess because the stake was a piece of sucker rod about 3 feet long and it pulled it out. A friend of mine was with me and he “it’s just a raccoon and a $12 trap”. I told him I had to try and find both. I could see the drag line and knew it couldn’t climb a tree one handed with the extra weight. Followed it to a big oak along the creek bank that had its root ball washed out. It was up under the tree in the roots. Would’ve been a miserable way to die dragging that trap and chain.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You did good Murphy , cant treat em as vermin even tho they may be ..they deserve respect as much as we do.

·
Super Moderator
12,318 Posts
I would have done the same, being a trapper and out with all the wildlife through the season brings respect for them and a story on their survival during the harsh winters.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Exactly Glen ..when I started to follow I went about 400 yds then told myself one more corner ,one more.corner for 2 miles then went back to the truck and planned on coming back ..turns out he was.within striking distance when I left him the first time but who knows ..

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes Rick they are very tough and are well adapted to harsh conditiins
.glad I checked when I did or else I would have never recovered him ,wind blew away virtually all the snow last night

·
Super Moderator
23,337 Posts
Doing the right thing isn’t always easy, but it’s always the right thing.
Knowing what I know about you Cam and Murph I would expect no less.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Doing the right thing isn’t always easy, but it’s always the right thing.
Knowing what I know about you Cam and Murph I would expect no less.
Thanx Don , I believe there's a bunch of guys on here that would do the same..and not just in this type situation but in every day life

·
Super Moderator
23,337 Posts
Thanx Don , I believe there's a bunch of guys on here that would do the same..and not just in this type situation but in every day life

Yes sir, every single one of us I believe.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts