Predator Hunting Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Be vewy, vewy quiet!
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On another thread, Ruger was looking for a load for .45 ACP w/200gr. Hornady XTPs. I happen to have been working on such a load and told him I would post the results. Before we go any farther, any competent handloader knows to work any load up from a known safe beginning load.

These loads were worked up by me for my pistol using my 35+ years of experience handloading. I do not guarantee nor will I be liable if you use this load data for your own pistol. I am simply recording the results of my use of the data shown.

They both shot well in my pistol with no overpressure signs and both showed good accuracy and very manageable recoil. These loads were 5 shot strings through my F-1 Chrony from about 3 ft.

RIA Model 1911 Tactical

5" barrel

Hornady 200gr. XTP

Unique powder

COAL: 1.225

6.9 grains Unique

AVG MUZZLE VELOCITY: 968 FPS

AVG MUZZLE ENERGY: 416 FT. LBS.

7.0 grains Unique

AVG MUZZLE VELOCITY: 992 FPS

AVG MUZZLE ENERGY: 430 FT. LBS.

I had a load of 6.8 grs. of Unique but my printer messed up before I saw it and lost the data.

The higher load, to me, had a noticeable increase in recoil though it would not be enough to keep me from using the load.

There were no flattened primers, cycling problems, etc. with these loads in my pistol. I first started the workup with 6.7 grs. of Unique but I will not load above 7grs. simply because this is just a practice round for me.

:hunter:

·
Registered
7,936 Posts
Thanks for posting, I have unique but have never used it for 45 acp, I use it in the 40 s&w. I like bullseye in the 45 mainly because its finer grain and works very well in my progressive reloader (only set up for 45 acp) I use a RCBS on all other calibers.

·
Be vewy, vewy quiet!
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here you go Steve.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
23,337 Posts
That is a sweet looking 1911. My plan is to acquire another, but first the wife wants an STI Elektra.

·
Be vewy, vewy quiet!
2,695 Posts
Thanks, guys. Since this picture, I upgraded the pistol with Hogue Finger Groove grips and it made a big difference in control for me.

:hunter:

·
Registered
199 Posts
Very nice! I love mine. A 1911 is best described as a man's gun!

Here is a pic of mine

New trigger, sear, hammer, sights, grips and machined barrel bushing......dosent shoot any better than it did stock! Shot fantastic from the factory but I cant help myself.

100_2115.jpg

Steve

·
Be vewy, vewy quiet!
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sweet!

:hot:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts