Predator Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a RRA Coyote Rifle 20 1 in 9" twist.

I had a box of 69 Sierra Matchkings I tried them for accuracy and some 50 grain Blitz as well as some 55 Grain blitz. Of course the rifle liked the 69 grain SMK the best.

My question is has anyone tried 69 grains SMK on yotes and fox maybe cats? I know that Sierra says they are for paper punching and I've seen several debates as to whether or not deer should be shot with them.

I was hoping someone may have used them on yotes one of the complaints against the SMK on deer was they might blow up if a bone was hit!

~HF~

·
13 Posts
I havn't shot matchkings, but I found on pg. 262 in Sierras reloading manual a picture of 2 dispatched chucks using 52 gr. matchkings.

·
Registered
12 Posts
if you are wanting to harvest the fur 69 grain smk will leave you with alot of sewing but if you are just out to kill then they will work

·
17 Posts
used them on both dogs and cats this season any closer than 100 yards and they could exit. as far as humanly killing i have had no problems, i think that sierra pretty much advises against using their match kings on "big game".

·
11 Posts
i tried some 52 gr. SMK's in my 22-250 and shot 3 coyote w/ them under 150 yrds, i dont know how much they r expanding i never recovered any bullets but they all seemed to leave dime sized exit holes. i think shot placement is the biggest factor in the one shot kill department! id give the 69 grains a try.... couldnt hurt.

·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
WhackUmNsTackUm said:
i tried some 52 gr. SMK's in my 22-250 and shot 3 coyote w/ them under 150 yrds, i dont know how much they r expanding i never recovered any bullets but they all seemed to leave dime sized exit holes. i think shot placement is the biggest factor in the one shot kill department! id give the 69 grains a try.... couldnt hurt.
Yep I agree with bullet placement in fact this is my favorite quote! ...

"The single most important factor in wound lethality is bullet placement. This can not be overstated."
Taken from: The Mechanics of Terminal Ballistics

~HF~

1 - 8 of 8 Posts