Predator Hunting Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I confirmed the zero on my .223 I've mentioned in other posts. I have been using the Federal Tactical 55 grain HPBT to start with but have had some doubts (scope brand is unknown to me). These doubts were because I've noticed some erratic rounds on my cold shot. After today, I believe I've found the magic bullet that this Howa likes.

Weapon is Howa 1500 in .223 sold as the Ranchland Security package with the 3x10x42 Nikko Sterling scope. The scope is the only part I don't have full confidence in, but decided to give it an honest try and then dump it if I can't get it to stay true.

The ammo tested: Federal Tactical 55 grain HPBT Sierra Game King / Remington 45 grain JHP / Winchester Razor Back XT 64 grain / Hornady 55 grain V-Max.

Since I have plenty of the Federal, and usually like their product, I started with that for my zero confirmation. Was shooting a bit high to start so I made my adjustments. I have a pretty comprehensive application on my iPad that informs me a zero at 50 yards will put me about .5 inches high at 100 and dead on at 150. That's my overall goal with this weapon since I have a 22-250 for longer shots. I anticipate my longest shot at 200 yards with this gun. Weapon zeroed, time to test ammo now.

In a nut shell, I zeroed with the Federal at 50 yards on table with Harris bi-pod. Scope was zoomed into 10 power and I could see almost each shot after firing.

Automotive tire Recreation Auto part Automotive wheel system Font

After having zero with Federal, I went to the next 55 grain bullet, the Hornady V-Max.

Font Measuring instrument Circle Camera accessory Cameras & optics

Then I tried the Remington in 45 grain and Winchester in 64 grain. Not happy, especially with the Winchester.

Shoe White Automotive tire Black Camera lens

I then cleaned the barrel real good and let her cool. I shot 2 groups of three rounds each with the federal at 50 yards. I then repeated to shoot 2 groups of three rounds each with the Hornady at the same target. I used the same target and shot the Federal group on the right target then the left target, then switched ammo and did the same exact thing with the Hornady ammo.

Iris Font Material property Circle Parallel

In summary, the Federal shot tight, but pulled left about an inch. The Hornady was much better IMO. All the groups with the Hornady were tighter. Weather was about 63 degrees F, cloudy, with a slight headwind of < than 3-5 MPH if that. All groups were three rounds of each ammo and I allowed ~5 minutes between each group for the barrel to cool a bit. I will end up shooting the other ammo for fun, but will only hunt with the Hornady. The big question looms; how will the Hornady be on the fur?

Attachments

·
1,178 Posts
I have been testing 55 gr vmax and Berbers I have a thread started in the reloading section if you want to take a look. I tried some Remington 45gr up rounds for coyotes last year. Worked awesome on some but to many runners for me.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey poe..I think I saw that thread and acutually commented too...I couldn't get the Berbers today at Bass Pro and wanted to see how off the spreads were with the variety of bullet weights. I was hoping for tighter groups than what I saw, so for now it's the Hornady first and Federal second. Have you put them through any fur yet?

·
1,178 Posts
so far the only bullets I have used on coyotes with my .223 is 53gr matchkings 55gr vmax and 55gr bergeres. In factory rounds I have used the white box winchester 45gr jhp and the remington 45gr jhp. The winchester 45s were deadly in my 22-250 but I did end up with a lot of runners with the .223. However whem you made a good shot with them there was very little hide damage. The 53gr matchkings just punched a hole right through with about a 1 inch exit and I have posted all of my results with the vmax and berger in my other thread.

·
Die Hard Member
2,345 Posts
REM. makes a 62 gr. that they call there targer /match bullets and i have found it to shoot pretty good. I am using a 1-8 bore and it will shoot 80 gr. real well. The Rems,have a big hollow point and can be gotten in bulk packs of 100 to 1000. They are price friendly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts