Predator Hunting Forum banner

22 Nosler performance

6K views 45 replies 4 participants last post by  503MD 
#1 ·
I continue to be impressed with this round. Most of my shots are 200 yards or less. For years I’ve shot a .223 with ok results but do see some runners. So far with this round they don’t run just drop like a rock. There’s definitely more shock on impact which I like a lot. Great round for anyone of the fence and looking for something a little stronger in a AR15 platform. My season is wide open now and going again tonight. I’m excited [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

See less See more
#2 ·
What are the ballistics of this round. Are you using factory ammo or hand loads.

#3 · (Edited)
I’m using Nosler’s factory 55g ballistic tips. Box says 3500fps out of the muzzle. So must be a good 300fps or more above factory .223. It definitely has more knock down which is very apparent from the coyotes I’ve taken. This load shoots well and consistently prints around a inch or just under out of my Ar15. I also have some of their .62g hollow point flat base loads but have not shot them yet.

#4 ·
Glad it’s working out for you I looked at that one and the 6.8 Grendel but I’m holding off until joe figures out what he’s going to do no use spending money on something that I may not be able to use soon

#6 ·
By the way, the leftist have been trying to ban AR’s since 2008 and even way before. It may happen eventually and if it does people that have them will be grandfathered in so can keep them. Don’t get to up tight about it but if your thinking about owning one do it now BEFORE they get banned. Better to have than to not have. [emoji16] Good luck

#7 ·
I’ll never assume that they’ll grandfather our right to own an AR style rifle. They outright banned the bumpstocks. That said buy from an individual and there’s no record. Just sayin’

#8 ·
I own 2 I was just saying that if they are banned again we will not be able to hunt with them so I’m on the fence about spending more money on something that might end up being a safe queen

#9 ·
My thought is this, you consider the risk and chances based on amount of time that nothing has happened vs if will actually happen anytime soon. I would rather enjoy it now while I can vs being worried and never doing so. There will always be the threat of AR’s being outlawed so I choose to enjoy while I can.

#12 ·
What bullets are you using on yotes? Out of this 22 Nosler the 55 grain ballistic tip is running just over 3400fps. It’s exiting on broadside shots but is delivering a lot of knock down. I also have a box of the 62g Nosler flat base Varmengeddon ammo that I’m going to try. I’m wondering if they penetrate less and leave even more energy inside the animal?

#14 ·
The Vmax works well on coyotes. Have shot them a lot in my 5.56.

I just ordered a couple boxes of 22 Nosler 53g flatbase Varmageddon loads to try. Not sure if my 1-8 twist barrel will be too fast but guess we will see. They should explode well and hopefully no pass throughs.

#16 ·
Are you now or in the future going to reload for the 22 Nosler?

#17 · (Edited)
No I’m not planning to right now. Actually, i’m not sure I ever will as this is a dedicated predator rifle so it’s not like I’m shooting hundreds of rounds annually. Factory ammo shoots fantastic with very tight groups and at around 3500 fps with the 55gr ballistic tips it’s moving pretty quick too. So considering how much I shoot and the current level of overall performance I’m not sure there’s a benefit. It really is a sweet little cartridge for it’s intended use. It will never be a .223 and be as well rounded and as widely accepted. But for anyone wanting the fastest and hardest hitting round in the AR15 platform its sure hard to beat.

#18 ·
Save your brass in an airtight container.

#20 ·
It keeps them dry and corrosion free. Just make sure they are dry when you put them in there.
Here’s why, the 22 Nosler isn’t a huge seller, it may be but if it isn’t ammo and brass will be scarce( ask anyone shooting one of the super short calibers ) bullets will always be fairly available but brass may end up
On a once a year run that gets sold out quickly. If nothing else, you can sell it to someone who does reload.

#23 ·
Well came close last night and had a bunch of excitement. So a big dog came close to the bait pile at 12:10am then a coyote followed about 10 minutes later. This is where it gets interesting. The coyote stayed in the woods raising cane then the bigger dog went after him. The yote apparently didn’t go far and stood his ground. They both barked like mad at each other. No growling just very aggressive barking. This went on like for 20 minutes then went quiet. Unfortunately, they both stayed in the woods so no shots available. I did hit my caller a few times with a den raid call sequence followed with aggressive barking. They didn’t even act like they heard it though. Lol

#24 · (Edited)
Just nailed this one at fairly close range. 80-90 yards maybe and the Nosler 53g Varmageddon tipped bullet shut his lights off. 3rd one this year and to date my best start of season. Exciting stuff.

This tipped 53g is suppose to be Nosler’s most explosive 22cal bullet. I literally can’t see where it went in and it definitely didn’t exit. I think this might be the first one I’ve shot where there hasn’t been a exit hole. Also first yote I’ve shoot with this round. The ballistic tips have all done a excellent job but do tend to exit. Next up I’m going to try their 62g hollow point Varmageddon loads.

Plant Tripod Grass Bicycle tire Machine gun

#25 ·
How did the 53gr do on paper ?
And the 62?

#26 ·
The 62g did very well. I only shot two groups of three but both groups were around a inch or so. But it was a little breezy that day and my gun really needed a good cleaning so I think I might could squeeze a little more out of them.

The 53g I’m not sure yet. I knew my shots tonight would be under 125 yards so figured I wouldn’t have a problem hitting a yote. I will try them on paper this weekend just to see and post back.

#27 ·
In daylight. No evidence of entry or exit. First picture shows entry after peeling hair back. Complete termination inside body cavity. It did hit bone though so maybe soft tissue hit will perform differently.
Carnivore Felidae Fawn Whiskers Snout

Carnivore Fawn Terrestrial animal Snout Canis

Carnivore Terrestrial animal Tail Snout Grass

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.