Predator Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
24 Posts
I have used both as well as a 223 rem ,within there ranges they all work.My new build is on a Stevens short action(savage) with a Shilen 27 inch 1 in 9 twist 22 cal barrel chambered to 22-250 Ack Imp. Current load is with 65gr Sierra bullet ,will be trying 70 gr Berger vld in the near future. My plan is to use heavier bullets in the 65gr to 75gr weight .Still a new work in progress .I do like the Vortex 6.5-20x 44 viper scope that is on it.

·
13 Posts
I also like both, although I don't own a .243. I do own a 6mm. Ackley improved, Hart barrel, McMillian camoflague stock, adjustable trigger set at 1 lb. 5 oz. and a 4-12 Leoupold scope, rings, and bases. My only setback is that it favors a heavy bullet. Currently working on a 22-250 test results later.

·
49 Posts
i have had the 22-250, 223, 223ssm, 17rem, 220swift i found my self packin my 243 to more stands then any of them. didn't matter what one was going the 243 was thrown in just incase.
first time i missed it was back to the 243.
i killed just as many with the swift but it was a bull barrel and i found it heavy to carry.
now i just have the 243, this year i packed my 270 for a while but now i have my fur bearrers and plan on shooting bobcat. i switched back when a bobcat came and i was holding the 270 so i didn't shoot it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have several 243's along with a arsinal of othe rifles. The one I pick up most is my Savage American Classic w/ detatchabe mag. Its topped with a weaver classic V16 in the fine crosshair option. This is a real tack driver with a "tuned accu-trigger. I love the lightweight, the looks, reliability, and extreme accuracy! Would recomend this rig to all. Last fall I took a near book Antelope in SD. at over 500 yards. I figure if a yote is under 300 its toast. Great gun.

·
13 Posts
they are both great calibers but I prefer 22-250 for calling.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would say if you want a versitale riffle then go with the 243 you can load it light for varmints or heavy for deer Ive even seen guys kill elk with them (not recomended)

·
49 Posts
Well if you break down just the ballistics then the 243 has less wind drift than the 22-250 which I shoot. Now if a flat shooting rifle is what you prefer than the 22-250 is better in most circumstances, but the 243 is faster, flatter and hits harder than the 22-250 in testing the 50 gr ballistic tip from winchester the 22-250 was a 50 and 55gr in the same bullet. This arguement can be fought all day. Both will work fine but the biggest advantage I see the the diversity of bullet from the 243. By the way, you guys who have never used the ballistic calculator on winchester website you should check it out. Great tool.

·
61 Posts
right now the .243. both are more than enough and both can damage the hide a great deal i got a sako .243 and i love it. if the truth were known, i would still be shooting a .222 rem as a fav calling rifle. the .243 has excellent range.

·
9 Posts
I like the 22-250. But I also have a Weatherby vanguard sub moa. I just like guns so I shoot 22-250 for predators and 243 when I don't have to shoot over 300 yards when deer hunting. Everyting else I shoot a 300 weatherby mag.
My experience is when you shoot a smaller bullet with a 243 you loose a little bit of accuracy unless you load down a bit but when you do that you loose a little power. It is 50 50. I love both guns

·
1,178 Posts
Depends on what you need it for. if it was only going to be a coyote,fox, bobcat etc gun then I don't know If I would chose either. I might look into something like the .204 but the 22-250 would be a close second. If you would like to take some deer size game then i think I would go with the .243. You can load it light for coyotes or heavy for deer. I shoot 55grain balistic silvertips for coyotes and it works awsome. Later on I switch over to 95 grains and go deer hunting.

·
41 Posts
I would go for the 243 just because it can do a better job on deer if you decide to use it. Also, I haven't had a coyote take a step after being shot with a 243 yet (5 coyotes). Don't get me wrong I love the 22-250 and if I had the money I would own one of each but for right now I love my 243 and it bucks the wind a little better.

·
6 Posts
Hello
I use a 22-250 howa 1500 its a great gun real fast shootin! I think the smaller dia. bullet makes less of a mess than the .243 My hunting partner uses a .243 !
bigden

·
8 Posts
I have both a 243 and a 22-250. If you want fur friendly I would say the 22-250. If your not worried about the pelt than I would go with the 243 shooting the 55gr ballistic tips, very fast/flat shooting. Just my .02.

·
7 Posts
22-250 for calling coyotes 243 for deer, I use a 40 grain ballistic tip and it dosnt ruin the hides but drops them in there tracks. Just my opinion. Bruce

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.