Predator Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The mule deer hunting was fantastic this year, guided friends and family to great deer, but couldnt find one over 180 when it was my turn to hunt, so I shot a decent whitetail.

Attachments

·
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
micraelee, come on out to Kansas any time you want and we will see what we can do for ya.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Tommy, that sounds great, I would love to take you up on that one day. I have a friend that I was in the service with that lives in Colorado that has been wanting me to come out there. And I am pretty sure there is some nice ones out there. I know either spot would would be AWESOME. I don't have any nice bucks on the wall, but I have a very nice wild boar head and a pretty nice fish on the wall. Hopefully it won't be long I will have me a YOTE head.

·
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would about trade ya a whitetail hunt for a pig hunt. You guys got any good flathead fishing around you?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Tommy, you wouldn't believe me if I told you. Man there is awesome fishing holes down this way. I mean literally, you can catch blues until you was tired of catching them. We have a hole about five miles from here, we usually get out there just before dark and set up and believe it or not we have to stop fishing cause we won't have enough time to get them all cleaned before daylight. C'mon down and I will send you back with more blue cat and hog than you could eat in a year. And it don't get no better than being run up a tree by a big ol' hog your fixing to make his last run. LOL

·
135 Posts
Congrads on a great buck. We don't have anthing even close to a buck loke that here.

·
46 Posts
Bucks like that are virtually impossible here. People would laugh if you called that one "decent". Congratulations. I shot a 3x3 whitetail that probably didn't score more than 110 last year in our black powder season. It was the nicest deer I had ever seen taken out of that area. Whitetail just run bigger in states farther East, but that is a gorgeous deer you got.

·
Super Moderator
23,275 Posts
Nice buck Tommy !!

·
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hassel, I have watched this buck grow up actually. I first noticed him on this farm 4 years ago when he started showing up on trail cameras. I thought he had some good potential, and actually passed him up that year. I was unable to find his sheds that spring and wondered if he had survived. The buck was a ghost for the next two following years, but I started picking up his sheds on a farm a mile away from the first encounter, he hadn't really turned into the buck we all thought he was going to. Well, last year there were more active scrapes than normal so finding a tree was pretty simple. I had hunted pretty hard for mule deer, and had been letting my whitetail scouting go a little too much...as in I hadnt checked the trail cameras on that farm for almost a month and a half. I had a day to myself, and hadn't seen a good muley the night before so I decided to go sit in a tree stand and check my cameras.

The wind was out of the south, not good for any tree on that farm, I was running late, and I bumped a herd of does on the way to the stand I picked. The sun was just starting to peak over the horizon when I saw a doe working a weed draw, and could see tines sticking up in the weeds behind her, but I couldnt tell what it i was so I decided to try and bang the horns together. About the time I stood up to bang the horns together, I saw this buck standing about 75 yards, and acting like he was gonna head my way.

It is weird, the majority of the bucks running around on this farm are very aggressive when it comes to a call used correctly. This buck was no exception. He ended up turning to go the other way, and I have him a snort wheeze. He paused, looked my direction and came in on a dead run, with me still holding my rattling horns. So, as carefully as I could, I hung the horns up and grabbed my bow just in time for him to pop out of a ditch and walk past at 20 yards.

It was almost like he read my mind as I came to full draw and he stopped and looked in the direction of the other deer. Settling in on the lungs, I let the arrow go, and the buck made it about 20 yards and crashed. Perfect ending to the season.

Anyways, thats the skinny on him.

·
Die Hard Member
5,393 Posts
Great Hunt Tommy ! That is how you do it...!! I love tree stand hunting but WAY prefer stalking or sneak huning. Good read !

That was a nice buck no question. 22 " spread ? He has a nice wide open rack. Bow hunting is an art keep it up. I have seen some nice bucks north of you in Iowa while pheasant hunting...but, unfortunately was not deer hunting
. Did however do well on Birds...how are your bird populations doing ?

·
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I don't do near the bird hunting I used to, but from what I have been noticing while driving the country roads, pheasant populations are WAY up. Quail are still down in the tubes though.

·
Die Hard Member
5,393 Posts
Well maybe I will head out your way this fall. I love to pheasant hunt...run and gun but do a bit of pointer hunting too.

Please keep me posted on how you think the pheasants are doin..we have been getting alot of rain up north in Iowa.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts